HRPC--Skip White Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I didn't want to hijack another thread but HRPC mentioned Skip White distributors in another thread. Since they have a different way of listing parts than I am used to I thought I would double check here on the right one for my `77 454. From what I am seeing, the right one would be: http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=PE-323-R but I would like a second opinion. At that price, it seems hard to go wrong if they have a decent track record.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I didn't want to hijack another thread but HRPC mentioned Skip White distributors in another thread. Since they have a different way of listing parts than I am used to I thought I would double check here on the right one for my `77 454. From what I am seeing, the right one would be: http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=PE-323-R but I would like a second opinion. At that price, it seems hard to go wrong if they have a decent track record.

I have one I'm about to drop in my 305. Bought it based on advice from HRPC and the others here I'll let you know next week after I get it in the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

That one looks to maybe be the TBI type HEI Dizzy. You need the older one if your non computer HEI. These also come in Black and Clear, and you can also get the one with the fancier MSD LIKE cap, but, I don't like that one cuz it's a bitch to get the screws thru the coil and then has to be removed to change plug wires. But here is the OEM type in Red.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6503-R

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would like to hear from someone that's put 10-20,000 miles on one. Hopefully they don't wear out after a few thousand miles.

Other than that, people seem to like them and I'm seriously thinking about buying one.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I installed one in My 59 Power Wagon and it is working just great.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
That one looks to maybe be the TBI type HEI Dizzy. You need the older one if your non computer HEI. These also come in Black and Clear, and you can also get the one with the fancier MSD LIKE cap, but, I don't like that one cuz it's a bitch to get the screws thru the coil and then has to be removed to change plug wires. But here is the OEM type in Red.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6503-R

I thought that one was actually for an upgrade from a points system. That would have predated TBI by a month or two by my math. :lol: I didn't know if the upgrade model would work the same as a replacement for an HEI original.

The one you listed would be fine even though it doesn't list 454 as one of the supported engines?

Yep, I'm a noob. :suicide:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought that one was actually for an upgrade from a points system. That would have predated TBI by a month or two by my math. :lol: I didn't know if the upgrade model would work the same as a replacement for an HEI original.

The one you listed would be fine even though it doesn't list 454 as one of the supported engines?

Yep, I'm a noob. :suicide:

My bad. It does appear you are right. It's a retrofit electronic igntion dizzy instead of the OEM style. So that would work also. Just so that you don't need the ECM is what I was concerned about. I jumped at the pic, and didn't read. That is actually a good alternative for some who don't have alot of room in the back against the firewall. Keep in mind though, this unit does not come with a coil. You'd use the old style cylinder coil with it. The OEM type I listed, comes with the integrated in cap coil.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
The other question was about the one you suggested. Would that one work with a 454? I don't know it would work or not. My guess is the variable would be with the distributor gear, but I don't even pretend I understand the ignition system...yet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The other question was about the one you suggested. Would that one work with a 454? I don't know it would work or not. My guess is the variable would be with the distributor gear, but I don't even pretend I understand the ignition system...yet.

Nice thing about Chevy Dizzies, is a V8 Dizzy is a V8 Dizzy. Same SBC Dizzy fits a BBC too. :waytogo:

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Total crap... They are made by Pro Comp electronics. Ordered two of them awhile back, for our race trucks. I honestly think they are made by Ray Charles.... The shaft in both were bent. One was in our race truck for a 2 years...This whole time it had a pop like a valve too tight. Or something... Never could figure out what it was.When we pulled it out to change intakes, i noticed the shaft was not straight. And the rotor had been contacting the dist cap. I'm pretty sure that is what killed a new auto meter tach.

Thought it might have just been a fluke, So we was going to install the other one we bought. And it was crap too, I never installed it. I went ahead and put it all back in the box. And gave it to one of my friends. He was going to put it on a derby car or something.

Alot of things from Skip white are made by Pro Comp electronics... Do a quick google search of pro comp elec and you can read all day and night.

I will say this though....

If you do get one, I'd swap out the electronics in it. And be sure the shaft is straight. If its not straight you can bend it straight.

We ended up buying a Full Accel distributor. And rebuilt the bent skip white one, with msd parts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I knew they were made by Pro Comp. Cheap China stuff, but you're the first I've heard have an issue with them and 2 in a row??? Bummer. When I bought my first one, I figured for the money, I couldn't get hurt. The Cap and Rotor is thin plastic, but still has brass contacts. Maybe they're good for stockers and not for race motors? :shrug: But it appears you're saying, the shafts were bent right out of the box???

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Yeah both were.... Was also down in Vanleer TN at a mud race, And the track owner said that he had ordered one and it was the same. It was bent and demolished it. And that they refunded his money. And i think they sent a new one.

The ones i ordered was the HEI ones... Full dist

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I actually purchased one yesterday and should have it today. For that price it is hard to go wrong. Lifetime warranty are never a bad thing.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was under the impression that he use to sell ProComp dizzys and in recent years he switched to one made by Top Street Performance which is supposedly better.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/skip-white-65-000-volt-distributor-revealed-179906.html

I actually purchased one yesterday and should have it today. For that price it is hard to go wrong. Lifetime warranty are never a bad thing.

Be sure to post a picture of the box when you get it and let us know what brand it is. We would all appreciate it, I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones