How would transmission fluid end up pooling on the intake? TH350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I had a similar issue with atf on the top of my engine and exhaust manifold. It turned out to be a clogged vent tube. A TH350 with the vent on the left side like the pic. When the trans was warm atf would come out of the fill tube since that was the path of least resistance. I used a pick to loosen the dirt and compressed air. I refilled as needed and never had the issue again.
so for mine to get on the opposite side of dipstick which was still sealed with the o ring and clipped down, and the vent half way down the side of trans, do you guys think maybe the modulator bewing ruptured means the pressure changing and expansion pushed it up the vacuum tube which either had a drip loop to that spot or made its way out of a spongy part of the hose im sure was spongy befroe it was put on teh modulator let alone atf contact. it doesnt appear in the openings of the carb or the body. so im not sure it was pushing into the qjet.. which is why i am gonna ask if maybe it could find a way to the top of the kickdown bracket and then make a downhill drip onto that cavity on intake? The line looks not ATF but if its had time to evaporate any small clinging and otherwise travel downhill till the end then maybe?

You must be registered for see images attach

well im not an expert but that kickdown line looks a its a little bent considering its a high tension plastic sheath around a coated metal strand wire cable and that woud impede its smooth movements and the clip from the adjuster is also missing.... and the adjust is pulled all the way back because of im sure the first moment the throttle was snapped and that cable tried to do anything... infact it looks like it shot back, hit the harness conduit and bound up at an extreme turn for the thing or just happened in relation to the slight sauna it was experiencing one day. I dont know how interchangeable or universal they are but i have one thats from a square in good shape chilling on a bracket for i presume sbc but it might have a different adjuster body
the bracket also looks like it got bent upward and to the left where the kickdown goes..

Hmm.. im getting a bigger light and seeing what is all visible on this back of engine and trans because a couple vacuum lines are visible sneaking behind the engine and I really hope they are ones that show up in front and not going to the vent lol. Looks like the top down one is for the modulator.. i think?the drip on that vacuum diaphram thingy bobber is from me pulling the dipstick and it being all the way to top so it dripped a bit while i was swinging it out
That sounds bad

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
so for mine to get on the opposite side of dipstick which was still sealed with the o ring and clipped down, and the vent half way down the side of trans, do you guys think maybe the modulator bewing ruptured means the pressure changing and expansion pushed it up the vacuum tube which either had a drip loop to that spot or made its way out of a spongy part of the hose im sure was spongy befroe it was put on teh modulator let alone atf contact. it doesnt appear in the openings of the carb or the body. so im not sure it was pushing into the qjet.. which is why i am gonna ask if maybe it could find a way to the top of the kickdown bracket and then make a downhill drip onto that cavity on intake? The line looks not ATF but if its had time to evaporate any small clinging and otherwise travel downhill till the end then maybe?

well im not an expert but that kickdown line looks a its a little bent considering its a high tension plastic sheath around a coated metal strand wire cable and that woud impede its smooth movements and the clip from the adjuster is also missing.... and the adjust is pulled all the way back because of im sure the first moment the throttle was snapped and that cable tried to do anything... infact it looks like it shot back, hit the harness conduit and bound up at an extreme turn for the thing or just happened in relation to the slight sauna it was experiencing one day. I dont know how interchangeable or universal they are but i have one thats from a square in good shape chilling on a bracket for i presume sbc but it might have a different adjuster body
the bracket also looks like it got bent upward and to the left where the kickdown goes..

Hmm.. im getting a bigger light and seeing what is all visible on this back of engine and trans because a couple vacuum lines are visible sneaking behind the engine and I really hope they are ones that show up in front and not going to the vent lol. Looks like the top down one is for the modulator.. i think?the drip on that vacuum diaphram thingy bobber is from me pulling the dipstick and it being all the way to top so it dripped a bit while i was swinging it out
That sounds bad
For the kickdown cable there are different lengths. You don't have to have one if you think it's causing problems. I replaced the one on my k10 and it was 40". It appears to fit many GMs. Buick, oldsmobile, Pontiac...so your spare one may work.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Oil floats on "Water" over time ???? (clear burn't fluid)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Did you pull the modulator line and see if it has ATF in it? You could get that puddling on that side if the intake bolts were not sealed with thread sealant since they are not blind holes and open into into the lifter valley. You might just have ATF there because it is in the motor oil from a bad modulator letting it get sucked in and since it is thinner than regular oil it is easier to seep past the non-sealed intake bolt threads. I'd start with checking the modulator line for ATF. If you have ATF in the vacuum line, replace the modulator. Then flush the engine oil and pull the intake bolts and seal the threads before reinstalling them. If you still have issues after that you can look further.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Did you pull the modulator line and see if it has ATF in it? You could get that puddling on that side if the intake bolts were not sealed with thread sealant since they are not blind holes and open into into the lifter valley. You might just have ATF there because it is in the motor oil from a bad modulator letting it get sucked in and since it is thinner than regular oil it is easier to seep past the non-sealed intake bolt threads. I'd start with checking the modulator line for ATF. If you have ATF in the vacuum line, replace the modulator. Then flush the engine oil and pull the intake bolts and seal the threads before reinstalling them. If you still have issues after that you can look further.
Is this true even for a Small block buick? and also, I am going to pull my car to my shed since my lawn mower is heavy enough to actually be able to pull it up slightly up hill after I pulled it out of the slight Sinking it was on with the square.

Since I wont be using 2 or 3 I was wondering if I can plug the modulator and not have the kickdown cable for the time being, I still want to drop the engine oil and see whats all going on. BUt the modulator, to my understanding, isnt very necessary at this moment until I want to try taking it on the road or perhaps verify if its fully functional?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is this true even for a Small block buick? and also, I am going to pull my car to my shed since my lawn mower is heavy enough to actually be able to pull it up slightly up hill after I pulled it out of the slight Sinking it was on with the square.

Since I wont be using 2 or 3 I was wondering if I can plug the modulator and not have the kickdown cable for the time being, I still want to drop the engine oil and see whats all going on. BUt the modulator, to my understanding, isnt very necessary at this moment until I want to try taking it on the road or perhaps verify if its fully functional?
The modulator leaking ATF into the intake is absolutely a thing on a buick too. Whether or not the intake bolts are blind holes on a buick, I have no idea.

Bottom line is if you remove the vacuum hose from the modulator and see ATF, you found at least part of your problem. Modulators are only about $20... I'd just replace it if it is bad.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The modulator leaking ATF into the intake is absolutely a thing on a buick too. Whether or not the intake bolts are blind holes on a buick, I have no idea.

Bottom line is if you remove the vacuum hose from the modulator and see ATF, you found at least part of your problem. Modulators are only about $20... I'd just replace it if it is bad.
no i meant the atf getting on top by going through the bolt threads, I didnt mean the atf getting to the intake from the vacuum line from the modulator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1