How to remove filler neck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Hi everyone. So my next big repair on the truck is to fix the gas leak. It leaks right around the filler neck attached to the tank. The issue is the same on both tanks. I suspect that the solder ring is bad, but won't know until I can get the filler hose off. How can I get the rubber hose off? It's almost rock hard and I have no idea how to go about removing it. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Hi everyone. So my next big repair on the truck is to fix the gas leak. It leaks right around the filler neck attached to the tank. The issue is the same on both tanks. I suspect that the solder ring is bad, but won't know until I can get the filler hose off. How can I get the rubber hose off? It's almost rock hard and I have no idea how to go about removing it. Any ideas?

It’s probably easiest to cut it with a utility knife. Cut parallel and peel it off the metal nipple.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The left side filler hose on my '79 had started badly leaking, I thought it was because the hose had turned rock hard. It turned out, it just needed a new clamp.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The left side filler hose on my '79 had started badly leaking, I thought it was because the hose had turned rock hard. It turned out, it just needed a new clamp.
Well heres a pic of the hose. I guess I wasn't clear as to how bad it is. The funny thing is the hose doesn't leak, but it leaks down where it meets the tank. The other sides hose is much better but it leaks in the same spot. I suspect maybe the solder rings for the filler neck are gone and I am going to have to replace the tank, but I want to be sure thats the issue before I go out and buy a new tank.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm not doubting that the hose has gone hard, but most of that ugly is just old undercoating that's falling off.

That's just the hose connection leaking, the fuel comes from around the base of the tank nipple because that's the end of the hose. I'd just spend a few minutes removing the old clamp and installing a new clamp, while leaving the hose in place. Cheap, easy and it will very likely take care of the leak too.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm not doubting that the hose has gone hard, but most of that ugly is just old undercoating that's falling off.

That's just the hose connection leaking, the fuel comes from around the base of the tank nipple because that's the end of the hose. I'd just spend a few minutes removing the old clamp and installing a new clamp, while leaving the hose in place. Cheap, easy and it will very likely take care of the leak too.
Will any hose clamp do? The one on there isn't one of the ones where you turn the screw and it closes, it's a bit different.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Will any hose clamp do? The one on there isn't one of the ones where you turn the screw and it closes, it's a bit different.

The one pictured is the factory clamp. A standard worm gear type clamp works fine, just don't use the cheap ones from China or Taiwan. The good quality clamps can take a decent amount of torque without stripping.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Perhaps a dealer parts department has one in stock?

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The one pictured is the factory clamp. A standard worm gear type clamp works fine, just don't use the cheap ones from China or Taiwan. The good quality clamps can take a decent amount of torque without stripping.
Perhaps a dealer parts department has one in stock?
Advance auto parts has a bunch, but does anyone happen to know the I.D of the filler hose and possibly the O.D? Thanks.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
That I don't know, but it looks to be about 2.5 inches. You just need the clamp to fit over the hose

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Advance auto parts has a bunch, but does anyone happen to know the I.D of the filler hose and possibly the O.D? Thanks.

The pre-packaged ones hanging in an isle? Those tend to be the low quality ones.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

I can't get this stinking clamp off. Any ideas how to remove it?
You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Usually back the screw out and tap it in to release the band tension.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486