How to flash high beams?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm installing DRLs and I've realized that I have no idea how to flash high beams with headlights off. With headlights on pulling on the stalk works but I believe every time I pulled it hard enough to switch to high beams and had to switch back, instead of actually flashing them.

I'm looking at circuit diagram and I can't find out where is the circuit responsible for flashing high beams... Is it possible that there is none?

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yes I think that is a European thing; one of my buddies on the 400/OBS forum was asking about that when he first got his Burb a few years ago. He's in rural Scotland, so this is something he needs to do often when driving at night. I think he just double pulls/clicks the dimmer switch, on the turn signal/multi function switch lever.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
There is no flash to pass on gm trucks till for sure after the gmt 400's. My 93 doesn't have it for sure. I swore my 98 doesn't, but now I'm not positive while trying to remember. I don't think it does though.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I installed a relay and wiring and use my cruise control lever (cruise control never worked) for flashing the high beams with lights off. Works with park or low beam on too.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks, that confirms what I understood from shcematic, however I had hopes that there is a separate circuit responsible just for that which I couldn't find.

Have you tried pulling back halfway as to not letting it click? What about pushing it forward? I thought they had something fir passing light?

There is one "headlights" wire coming from the light switch to the dimmer, so when headlights are off there is no power coming to the dimmer that could be switched to high beams.

If there is no way to flash high beams and hazard lights are combined with brakes ad work different than in Europe how do you guys "communicate" with each other when driving in US?

Say you want to warn an upcoming driver of some danger, an animal on shoulder or maybe there is something hiding behind the corner that may be a risk to the wallet for speeding drivers :), how do you do that? We flash high beams as a warning.

And how do you communicate "thank you" or "sorry" to others, we use hazards for that in Poland, but with combined red lamps it is hard to notice (looks like repeated application of brakes) or doesn't work at all (hazards in square body stop flashing when brakes are applied)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I installed a relay and wiring and use my cruise control lever (cruise control never worked) for flashing the high beams with lights off. Works with park or low beam on too.
Does the cruise switch function like a normal on off button?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You can easily add flash to pass, assuming the dimmer is on the column.

Get a headlight dimmer switch for a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood. There may be othe cars that use that dimmer switch, I know the Fleetwood works.

If you compare the switches, you will note the Cadillac switch has a 4 terminal. That needs to go the red wire of the headlight switch. That’s it, nothing else is needed.

You need a single series 56 female terminal and a some wire. It’s really that easy.

I did the conversion on my Olds years ago, and dads 81 GMC. I’m also doing the modification to my sons El Camino project, and probably his Yukon someday.

Here is a article I found:

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thank you Matt, I read that linked article and it looks like it basically meant to be a feature like this, but they simply didn't install it! I recall that the 3-wire connector on a steering column looked like it could take one more wire.

Is the dimmer switch independent from wipers and cruise control wiring?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod