1986 C10 No Lowbeams - Highbeams OK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 1986 C10
Everything worked perfect (although no left indicator- but maybe that’s a separate issue)

Went to pull out the dimmer switch and no low beams. Clicked on high beams and all four headlights turn on.

I am getting power to the red wire to the dimmer switch and the yellow wire is getting power as well.

What should I be looking for next- I don’t want to just throw parts at it.

Thanks in advance.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 1986 C10
Everything worked perfect (although no left indicator- but maybe that’s a separate issue)

Went to pull out the dimmer switch and no low beams. Clicked on high beams and all four headlights turn on.

I am getting power to the red wire to the dimmer switch and the yellow wire is getting power as well.

What should I be looking for next- I don’t want to just throw parts at it.

Thanks in advance.

I am confused, Everything worked, then you pulled the switch? Why?

Are you getting power at the low beam bulb? Unlikely but possible that both burnt out at the same time.

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I mean pull out the switch to turn the headlights on.
Which wire color would have power for the low beams?

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It does not appear I'm getting any power to the low beam lights. Only when the highbeams are turned on. Would this be indicative of a bad dimmer switch?

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got the new headlight switch in, and it doesn't seem to have done the trick.

I was able to figure out the blinker issue so that's resolved.

For the headlights, there is no power going to the tan wire. When I click on the highbeams, the green wire is illuminating.

I tried tracing the tan wire back into the cab, but I can't work out where it's coming from to get to the headlights.

Could anyone help better describe the path of the tan headlight wire so I can keep trying to see where the disconnect is? Does it run all the way up the column to the highbeam selector/ turn indicator switch?

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For anyone with the same problem- it was the high beam/low beam switch located on the steering column (what they call a dimmer switch not to be confused like I was with the switch that actually dims the gauges). Will be ordering a new one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD