How to remove carb air valve lockout lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I got my truck about six months ago and finally worked up the nerve to start fiddling with the carb (I have zero experience with them). It's a Quadrajet 4MV with the divorced choke. The choke mechanism was fouled up with wasps nests, and after a lot of internet research I got the choke and fast idle all squared away and functioning.

In messing with the choke, I accidentally broke off part of the secondary air valve lockout lever. (My carb has the secondary lockout connected to the choke on top of the air horn instead of down by the fast idle cam.) I located a new one on the internet, but I can't figure out how to get the old one off. I tried pulling the pin out with pliers but it didn't move, and I thought I'd ask before I start pulling too hard.

Here are photos of both sides of the lockout lever. Any ideas how I might get that pin out?
You must be registered for see images attach

You can see the lever between the choke butterfly and the secondary air valves. The choke rod is supposed lift up when it's warm and make contact with and lift the lever upper arm, which I broke off.

I have never encountered a pin like this, and figure one of y'all probably has. Any ideas?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Take your pick. I prefer the bigger of the lot. Lol

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Figured it out. Turned out to be very easy. I was worried there would be some kind of trick, but there wasn’t. I just tapped on the pin with a screwdriver and hammer and then pulled it out with pliers.

I think my secondaries are working for the first time since I’ve had the truck. Makes quite a difference when you floor it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising