How To Remove Air Pump? Or Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
hey guys, as i'm working through my other issue

(http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16549)

i'm wondering about the air pump it sits right below the alternator and is kind of in the way of me dealing with the fuel pump and new fuel line. i've seen many other trucks without this so i was wondering if i should just remove it permanently, and if so is it an easy mod and what all is involved? can i just take it off and get a shorter belt?

btw this is a stock 350

thanks again

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
hey guys, as i'm working through my other issue

(http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16549)

i'm wondering about the air pump it sits right below the alternator and is kind of in the way of me dealing with the fuel pump and new fuel line. i've seen many other trucks without this so i was wondering if i should just remove it permanently, and if so is it an easy mod and what all is involved? can i just take it off and get a shorter belt?

btw this is a stock 350

thanks again

I feel your pain there. Since you're a classic, you're exempt from Georgia emissions so go for it. If you're emissions catalyst sticker is still there, refer to it because you need to remove everything affiliated (pump, diverter, vacuum lines, etc.) plus the tubes that go into the manifolds. Some people just thread in bolts, and some people will put actual plugs in there. It'd probably be best to take the tubes to a hardware store so you can figure out the diameter of the fittings that go in the manifolds and purchase cast iron plugs of a congruent diameter to seal it on up. There should be eight holes. Just a little sidebar here, if you have any intention of running headers instead of manifolds, now would be a great time to do it because you wouldn't have to fiddle with plugging the manifolds. I understand, however, that you want to get it on the road expediently so you can enjoy it. You're running a multi belt accessory drive so you just need to remove the dedicated AIR belt and plug the vacuum port on the carburetor. And then you're done.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
sounds easy enough. i'm finally going to have time to tackle this stuff starting tomorrow. thanks again.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As I understand it, looks like the pully has to come off the air pump to access the bolts behind it. What's the best way to get those 3 pulley bolts off since the pulley wants to be a pully and spin? I'm guessing jam it with another wrench on one of the other bolts, but that will only work on the first two right?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
As I understand it, looks like the pully has to come off the air pump to access the bolts behind it. What's the best way to get those 3 pulley bolts off since the pulley wants to be a pully and spin? I'm guessing jam it with another wrench on one of the other bolts, but that will only work on the first two right?

Use an impact wrench.... Either air driven or cordless.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Use an impact wrench.... Either air driven or cordless.

i wish i had access to air tools or a cordless, i only have hand tools.

any suggestions or am i out of luck?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
i wish i had access to air tools or a cordless, i only have hand tools.

any suggestions or am i out of luck?

Is the shaft broached for a hex key by any chance. Otherwise try using the belt to grip it and loosen the bolts before removing the belt.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
All you need is a 7/16's wrench, push on the belt to loosen the bolts then take the belt off then take bolts off with the fingers, pulley comes right off..

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All you need is a 7/16's wrench, push on the belt to loosen the bolts then take the belt off then take bolts off with the fingers, pulley comes right off..

ok, i see. my engine is setup where the same belt drives the alternator and the air pump, and i've already taken the alternator and belt off, but it sounds like the easiest thing will be to put them both back on and use the tension to loosen the air pump pulley bolts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you do take all that off, save those AIR pump brackets, and carefully remove the metal tubes if they are still good. That stuff is hard to find now days and some of our Cali members need the relocate that ******** to get their truck legal again. Some other states require it too.

Just saying don't trash it. There's a need for the stuff. So if you want to donate to a memeber in need for shipping costs or sell it, do so rather than trash it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
ok, i see. my engine is setup where the same belt drives the alternator and the air pump, and i've already taken the alternator and belt off, but it sounds like the easiest thing will be to put them both back on and use the tension to loosen the air pump pulley bolts.
No need to put them back on, just use a long screw driver and wedge it between two bolts and loosen the other one, rotate and do the others they're not that tight, that's how I did mine.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you do take all that off, save those AIR pump brackets, and carefully remove the metal tubes if they are still good. That stuff is hard to find now days and some of our Cali members need the relocate that ******** to get their truck legal again. Some other states require it too.

Just saying don't trash it. There's a need for the stuff. So if you want to donate to a memeber in need for shipping costs or sell it, do so rather than trash it.

Thanks for letting me know. I finished removing it all today and I saved the stuff; the tubes are not useable, but I have the rest if anyone is looking.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks for letting me know. I finished removing it all today and I saved the stuff; the tubes are not useable, but I have the rest if anyone is looking.
Didnt see your other post. Check the other thread.

Last edited:

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So what all needed to come off?

I'm thinking about doing similar, I'm trying to get an old truck running again, I'll need to pull the carb off, and all these tubes and pipes and crap are giving me a headache.

I can see the pump, and where the tubes go to the manifold, and the cat, but where is the diverter valve and stuff?

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So what all needed to come off?

I'm thinking about doing similar, I'm trying to get an old truck running again, I'll need to pull the carb off, and all these tubes and pipes and crap are giving me a headache.

I can see the pump, and where the tubes go to the manifold, and the cat, but where is the diverter valve and stuff?

all i took off was the pump, the tubes, the diverter and it's associated hoses.
the diverter is the part which for me was pretty much right above the pump, that basically connects the pump to the two "rails" of tubes that run to each side's exhaust manifold.

it was pretty much a necessity for me to remove the pump to access the fuel pump, which is really what i was working on, and i figured why not delete the pump if i can.

hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe