How much oil pressure during priming ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I pulled the valve covers no oil to top of motor so now I don't no what to do and if it cause the primer is a tad to small for the block? Should I check pickup clearance try a new pump? I really don't want to do those thing especially if it's the primer tool

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
How long did you prime it for?, it does take a while and with only 24lbs it'll take longer, it does help to rotate the motor a 1/4 turn every few minutes. You didn't check pickup to bottom of pan clearance before you put it on???, shame on you, LOL, but if you have a stock pickup and pan it should be ok, unless you installed the pickup crooked??.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I did check the clearance it was3/8 but I had to switch pans (same pan except drivers side dipstick) in doing so I also switched to a one piece rubber pan gasket that's slightly thicker ...this is what I think my problem is but have no wY of knowing cause my intake is on .. Very frustrating engine was supposed to be in 2 days ago!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83yRYBCFheY

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's ok, dipstick don't matter and it don't have to be exactly 3/8" off the bottom, you need at least 3/8" so you don't suck up the pan, a little more don't hurt anything, try priming it again for a while and see if you can get oil flowing to the top.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've been doing it forever very frustrating ..I took the top price of primer off so I could look in with flashlight I don't hardly see it coming out into the lifter valley how common is buying a bad oil pump ?? I'm going to keep trying a while

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
With a flashlight i can see oil pumping out back two passenger side lifters doesn't look like back two drivers side are doing the same..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've never seen or bought a "bad" one yet, but I've had some out of the box with a stuck relief valve from burrs or crud, and I always set the clearance on them. They all need to be taken apart and cleaned regardless before installation.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oil needs to be flowing out the pushrods onto the rockers.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just can't imagine what's causing this??so I should pull the land inspect the pump? Thanks for the help!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd do that last, try to get oil flowing first.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I had that pump going for thirty minutes strait with a zip tie while I kept cranking the motor over by hand never got over 20# after 20 minutes barely got to the rockers something's not right.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Did you put assembly lube on the tips of the pushrods??.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nope maybe the lifters..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you put lube in any of the holes it plugs them up and it takes forever for oil to pass through, even worse at 20lbs. Might try and borrow another tool from someone if you can, one that's been made from an old distributor.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok yes I think I put engine assembly lube all over lifters not thinking! Well at least we figured it out!! no I don't no anyone with that kind of primer if I pull them out what should I clean them with? Thanks for all your help intake gasket should be reusable right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels