How much oil pressure during priming ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok I had a little oil coming out but not much..20# is good??

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We'll I'm going to put it in and hope for the best maybe it's just cause the primer doesn't seal that hole in the block...except I busted one of the clips on a lifter☺️! Might have to order another ! Glad I no how they work now ! Should the two holes in the lifter be lined up?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have any old lifters, just grab a retainer from one of them no biggie. as long as you have oil flowing it's good, should have more than 20lbs though but the norm is 10lbs per 1000rpm and with the distributor in with tight clearance you should have normal pressure. BTW, bearing clearances have a lot to do with pressure too, you are using straight 30wt right??. Not sure what you mean by two holes???.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have any old lifters, just grab a retainer from one of them no biggie. as long as you have oil flowing it's good, should have more than 20lbs though but the norm is 10lbs per 1000rpm and with the distributor in with tight clearance you should have normal pressure. BTW, bearing c have a lot to do with pressure too, you are using straight 30wt right??. Not sure what you mean by two holes???.

All bearing clearance was good. Has10w 30 in it. The main inner sleeve in the lifter has tiny hole liike the main outer body.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
All bearing clearance was good. Has10w 30 in it. The main inner sleeve in the lifter has tiny hole liike the main outer body.
And what kind of clearance is good?? :D You should have 30wt for break in, another reason for lower pressure the oil is thin, hope you put a can of break in additive with Zinc in it.. Don't matter on the holes the plunger will rotate some anyhow.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And what kind of clearance is good?? :D You should have 30wt for break in, another reason for lower pressure the oil is thin, hope you put a can of break in additive with Zinc in it.. Don't matter on the holes the plunger will rotate some anyhow.

I couldn't find any break in oils at local auto parts store! And I have the engine out of my truck. I'll look for some break in additive with zinc! If not I'll order some any brand recommendations ? Bearing clearances were .002

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You won't find break in oil on the shelf speed shop will have it though, but you can use any 30wt as long as you put the Zinc in, there's different brands but Lucas is probably the easiest to find these days, not sure if the local parts place will have it though?, may have to hit the speed shop for it, or order it online. You have .002 on the mains and rods?, a little on the tight side there. Curious, you have dual or single spring??..

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You won't find break in oil on the shelf speed shop will have it though, but you can use any 30wt as long as you put the Zinc in, there's different brands but Lucas is probably the easiest to find these days, not sure if the local parts place will have it though?, may have to hit the speed shop for it, or order it online. You have .002 on the mains and rods?, a little on the tight side there. Curious, you have dual or single spring??..

Dual springs I cant remember all my bearing clearances but they were with what my book says is allowable.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Books can get you in trouble too, lol.. Did you take the inner springs out for break in??, if not hope you don't have a lot of open spring pressure and a lot of lift, if you do better have a LOT of Zinc in the oil, and it better start instantly as in less than one revolution and go right to 2500 or better.. Myself I always take out the inner spring for break in, but that's just me..

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Books can get you in trouble too, lol.. Did you take the inner springs out for break in??, if not hope you don't have a lot of open spring pressure and a lot of lift, if you do better have a LOT of Zinc in the oil, and it better start instantly as in less than one revolution and go right to 2500 or better.. Myself I always take out the inner spring for break in, but that's just me..

Inner springs are in I bought some Lucas break in oil with zinc sorry for the late reply been very busy!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Inner springs are in I bought some Lucas break in oil with zinc sorry for the late reply been very busy!
No prob, good luck with it..:cheers:

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Getting closer!

Attachments