How much oil pressure during priming ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How fast should my drill be going I don't want to damage anything .. Got it close to thirty.. Ware should it be? I put 5 quarts in is that enough? Can't find my dipstick at the moment

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What pan do you have?, stock is 5 with filter. If you have a stock pump you should see 50-60lbs cold and like I said you can do that by hand with a speed handle which is a lot slower than a drill motor.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What pan do you have?, stock is 5 with filter. If you have a stock pump you should see 50-60lbs cold and like I said you can do that by hand with a speed handle which is a lot slower than a drill motor.

Stock pan melling m-55 oil pump just hooked up a different oilp pressure gauge 25# pressure

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Could oil pump pickup to pan clearance being to large cause this??i just realized I changed my oil pan to driver side dipstick in the process I also changed to a one piece rubber gasket wich looks a little thicker?

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The bottom of the priming tool the (the round part) how snug should this fit in the hole above the oil pump drive shaft??

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=985&p=1730#p1730

Here is an excellent read for someone with the same problem and looks like it proved my theory of the primer not sealing at the bottom and 20# being normal (some people adding rubber o ring) makes me feel better but still uneasy ..

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Found this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 67

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, I never used one of them tools so I don't know what they are like, I make my own out of junk distributors, but that bottom part is part of the oil galley and if it has a lot of clearance you'll have a leak for sure, might want to measure it up against a distributor, that could be the problem. Factory never used o-rings don't need them, a tight pump with a high pressure relief spring will pump over a 100lbs easy, and if you use o-rings the block needs to chamfered so not to tear up the o-ring. Anyhow, assuming the tool is "right", if you can't get over a certain pressure no matter what I'm leaning towards an issue with the pump, did you take it all apart and clean it(you're supposed to)and check the relief valve to make sure it moves freely, and check end clearance???, ALL stock pumps are out to lunch on the clearance some more than others, and if there's anything to prevent the relief valve to fully close(burr or crud) you'll have a leak. Were you able to get oil flowing to all the rockers??.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I measured it (with some masking tape and a pen) primer tool is smaller in diameter then a stock distributer wich I believe is my issue wich is why it's best to make your own from stock distributer and not a random Uto part priming tool.. Make sense? I'm hoping this is my issue..what do you think?? Fingers crossed !

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
How much smaller??, it definitely will make a difference since you'll have a leak.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
HArd to say. But I can imagine a gap there would cause issues.. But definitely a little smaller don't have precision tools to measure

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Made this one 20+ yrs ago. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And as of now have valve covered on ! Newb mistake!!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
When you prime a motor gotta take the covers off so you know when you have oil flowing all through the engine, every rocker needs to have oil flowing, if any don't flow there is an issue that needs to be addressed before start up.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll pull them tomorrow

Latest posts

Forum statistics