how high for 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1984tobe

Reaction score
First Name
tobias
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic
Engine Size
350 5.72
hello all, was wondering what you guys think : how high of a combo ( suspension and body) lift should i go to put 33" tires on 16" wheels. i was thinkin 2" and 2" but i don't know if that's enough. any responses are appreciated, thanks guys

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
33's will fit on most stock trucks with very minor fender trimming. I don't like body lifts at all, I'd go with a 2 or 4 inch suspension lift.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
mine is on 33's stock height with a 2 inch cut back on my fenders. could probably go up to 35's

You must be registered for see images attach

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
also X2 on the body lift, they are a no no. any lifting should be done in the suspension/tire sizing not body lifting.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes, please stay away from the body lift.

Cowboy Cadillac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 3" body lift( hate it but it came with truck)and I fit 35's. If you don't want to trim fenders and are never planning on going any bigger than a 33" tire get the 2" suspension lift, if planning on going to bigger tires one day get the 4"

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
4 inch suspension is the way to go at max. Even then, you'll have room to go 35's. And that's only if you really want to do a lift, cuz you don't need to.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a 3" body lift( hate it but it came with truck)and I fit 35's. If you don't want to trim fenders and are never planning on going any bigger than a 33" tire get the 2" suspension lift, if planning on going to bigger tires one day get the 4"

I missed this post before I responded. I agree here, with exception, IMO, if you're going to spend the money on the lift, at least go 4. Reason being, 4 inch gives you the option to grow in tire size down the road, 4 inch suspension doesn't create any other problems to where you need to start extending lines, at least as far as I know. As far as the money goes, it's kinda like changing gear ratios from 3.73 to 4.10. Spending good money for very little difference when for the money spent you see and get a significant difference.

I've been studying some pics on another forum that gave the lift and tire size. I have them categorized in lit and tire size. If you want, I'll send you some pics of 4 inch lift on 33's and 35's. I post them in public, but being they're from another site and they are not members..... I'd just rather not. Hopefully the guys will be members here someday.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
33's fit stock no trimming, we had them on our 86 but used stock rallys. 15x8's.

1984tobe

Reaction score
First Name
tobias
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic
Engine Size
350 5.72
man you guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice, but I gotta ask, why not a body lift? i had heard in the past it's better balanced to split your lift between the body and the suspension, but this is only my second 4x4 truck ( first was a 88 ranger that i just wasn't really into so i just drove it no real mods ) so please pardon my stupidity :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
man you guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice, but I gotta ask, why not a body lift? i had heard in the past it's better balanced to split your lift between the body and the suspension, but this is only my second 4x4 truck ( first was a 88 ranger that i just wasn't really into so i just drove it no real mods ) so please pardon my stupidity :)

You run into all sorts of issues with shifter linkage, bumpers being lower than the body, potentially extending fuel filler hoses, gas tanks showing and looking crappy, etc.

Stuff like that.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the BIGGEST issue with the body lifts is how it can make iy ugly.

reason, bumpers hang lower then before, and don't match or line up being lower.

side saddle tanks hanging down below the body and showing more looking aweful.

Now if you raise the bumpers, make fender gap fillers, and raise the tank or relocate it, then it'd be nice.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't like them either. But I think if I had to, I'd go with a 2in max, prefer 1 inch. There is just a couple advantages too. You do get more room to work on things. Some of those hard spark plugs can be gotten thru fender wells. More room to get the dizzy out of the block etc. But then on the other hand, the body just doesn't seem as rigid to me in the truck I drove with a 3in body lift. Just seemed flimsy to me. We even thought some bushings were loose but NO, they were all good. Maybe the 1in hockey puck style body lift would be more stable. :shrug: At any rate, what everyone is saying, avoid it if possible, and don't do it unless you have a good reason to. Like some people will use a 2wd drive cab and not transfer a 4wd hump so you'd have to do a 2in body lift I've heard.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
IMO they put extra stress on the sheet metal on the body mounting points.

I look at it like this, would you install 3" wheel spacers behind your wheels? Extra length is extra stress and torque on the body mounts, bolts and surrounding areas. I think that extra stress is best left for suspension add ons to handle.

Also check you're local laws, they are illegal to use in some places.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d