How do you guys battle rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
How do you guys battle rust? This applies especially to those in the rust belt. Now that it's winter, I'm driving the square less and the 2012 civic more.

Do any of you do more than washing the salt off every now and then? I've been washing, using silicone spray around wheel wells and cab corners, and spraying a 50/50 mix of ATF and Mobil 1 motor oil under the truck.

It pains me to know that there is salt eating away at my precious square, and I'm trying to figure out easier ways to keep the rust at bay. If not easier, then better/more effective.

Anyone here have any secrets to doing this? I'm not in a situation to apply POR-15, or I would dip the whole damn truck in it.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
take the cab off, the frame, sand blast, coat it with primer, bedliner what ever you can get. as far as the bed cab, you can do the same. I've bed linered a whole truck and cab inside and out.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I combat it by buying my vehicles from off the mountain where they don't get any snow/salt the roads... unlike here.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I combat it by not driving mine in the winter time :D

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yeah, I know not driving it at all is ideal. That's why I've been driving the (yawn) civic.

I wish I had some kind of garage pit with drainage, I would power spray used oil all over the bottom of the truck. Or I'll just move to the west coast and not even have to worry about it.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
My truck has an automatic underbody oil application system. Also known as an engine oil leak. Leaves a nice fine coating under everything back of the engine!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Bucket says guys in his area spray chain saw oil under their trucks. I just try to keep mine washed with the undercarriage car wash down the street. Only problem is below freezing I can't do it because the door hardware all gets frozen. I learned that the hard way the other night. Still got some sticking locks and latches I been fighting. It's been under freezing since Tuesday and is supposed to stay there until this weekend. I plan to shoot a coating of POR15 under there every spring and take care of any repair issues that come up as they appear.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
My truck has an automatic underbody oil application system. Also known as an engine oil leak. Leaves a nice fine coating under everything back of the engine!

:happy175:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear

HEY, mines optioned with that to.

But when i get my new bed, ill bedline the whole bottom of the bed, and get into all the little cracks i can(LOLOLOLOL).

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I combat it by buying my vehicles from off the mountain where they don't get any snow/salt the roads... unlike here.

LMAO, it is really that bad there ? None of the ones I've bought from around here are rusty, my k10 has some rust. Cause they left it sitting in a area that floods a bit.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Tell me about it, rock auto has the sleeve for $31.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
When I bought my truck it had the auto oiling system but I replaced the front and rear main seals, valve cover gaskets, hoses, resealed the diffs etc and cleaned everything. I'm lucky in that I don't have much rust for my area but I just bought Fluid Film. Might be too cold to spray it for awhile but I drive my truck in bad weather so I want some extra protection after I por the frame in the spring. $50 for the spray gun and $50 a gallon which should do the truck twice, so 2 years. Good reviews online

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I moved to southern California.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I combat it by not driving mine in the winter time :D

This ^^^

Maybe it's just me, but spraying oil on the bottom side just doesn't seem like a fun proposition. Do they leave it on through the summer? Having live on a gravel road for a good while, I know what oil and dust/dirt do to the bottom of a vehicle. While it DOES protect from rust, it is also a huge freakin' mess.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I battle rust by living in Arizona. I dont even know what the **** rust is.... A cactus crushing your truck, that is a possibility in Arizona.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man