How do I lift my 2WD ‘87 R10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjmillien

Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I’m new to this forum. I’m looking for information on how to lift my 2WD ‘87 R10. I am thinking that a four-wheel-drive lift kit would work on the rear end and I can just replace the front springs with some made for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I wanted to see if anyone has ever done this or if it would even work. I’m not looking to do anything crazy, just lift the rear about 2 to 3 inches and level out the front to match. Thanks.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Blocks in the rear and the HD spring up front would give about an inch and a rougher ride.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
I’m new to this forum. I’m looking for information on how to lift my 2WD ‘87 R10. I am thinking that a four-wheel-drive lift kit would work on the rear end and I can just replace the front springs with some made for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I wanted to see if anyone has ever done this or if it would even work. I’m not looking to do anything crazy, just lift the rear about 2 to 3 inches and level out the front to match. Thanks.
That's a look called a "Prerunner", lots of info online somewhere because I looked it up too many yrs ago to now remember

sjmillien

Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Prerunner is an almost Baja type lift and that isn’t what I’m going for. I did find the information I needed though.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Have you started or you still getting eveyrthing together?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The 75 GMC 1/2 ton we had cam from the PO with heavy duty - maybe 3/4 ton - coil springs up front. I remember the upper control arms being shimmed to all get out - now I think I know why.

A GM control arm front end has a shorter upper control arm - when the back of the truck is lowered, and the front is at full extension, the top of the tires cants inward.

Well, in effect, the longer coil springs were doing the same thing, so they got shimmed like mad.

Just something to keep in mind.

R10C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350/700R4
Prerunner is an almost Baja type lift and that isn’t what I’m going for. I did find the information I needed though.
When I lifted my sons 84 there were no options for companies making lift kits for 2wd c10s. Back in the day fabtech made a kit but it’s been discontinued for years with no NOS laying around that I could find. I did the conversion to OBS lift spindles to achieve the lift. Now we did set ours up as a pre runner look.. however all you would have to do is add a lift block in the back, or rear lift spring, or ORD shackle flip to the back to level the truck after lifting the front. My son has been daily driving his lifted 84 c10 now for a bit. It rides incredibly smooth and tracks great and is sitting on 35 12.5 17 tires. You can check out the build with the parts list needed here :

Now, like I said no company made a lift when I started this build… since then I have found this company:

They claim 3” lift with new springs and new upper control arm.. looks cool but I can’t or don’t speak for them.. they also say in the add that it heavily limits travel.. so I wouldn’t expect it to ride that great.

You can also find 1.5 and 3 inch coil spacers on eBay. I used them initially but didn’t like them and pulled them out. They limited travel too much as well.

All in all.. I’m very happy with the OBS conversion lift we did.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yea im watchin
When I lifted my sons 84 there were no options for companies making lift kits for 2wd c10s. Back in the day fabtech made a kit but it’s been discontinued for years with no NOS laying around that I could find. I did the conversion to OBS lift spindles to achieve the lift. Now we did set ours up as a pre runner look.. however all you would have to do is add a lift block in the back, or rear lift spring, or ORD shackle flip to the back to level the truck after lifting the front. My son has been daily driving his lifted 84 c10 now for a bit. It rides incredibly smooth and tracks great and is sitting on 35 12.5 17 tires. You can check out the build with the parts list needed here :

Now, like I said no company made a lift when I started this build… since then I have found this company:

They claim 3” lift with new springs and new upper control arm.. looks cool but I can’t or don’t speak for them.. they also say in the add that it heavily limits travel.. so I wouldn’t expect it to ride that great.

You can also find 1.5 and 3 inch coil spacers on eBay. I used them initially but didn’t like them and pulled them out. They limited travel too much as well.

All in all.. I’m very happy with the OBS conversion lift we did.
Yea im watching your sons build nice looking truck definitely a nice build. hope to get mine there some day PO dented passenger side. gonna lift it just a little bit hate leaning over to fill tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20