New Member - level front ‘77 k-10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrCaviar

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
New member and just got a ‘77 K10 truck I’m super excited about (actual picking it up next week). The front sits lower than the rear and I was wanting to level it out and put some 33s on it. Any kind of lifts are new to me, from the research I found there seems to be a few leveling kits out there but it looks like they also come with leafs for the rear. If I just wanted to raise the front up, why would rate leads also be in the level kit? Also, I didn’t know if a level kit was the best route to take it if anyone suggested other options? This community seems very bright so any input would be appreciated!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The older trucks don't really have the "leveling kits" like the new trucks do. Post some pics when you get it. How much lower is the front sitting? When measuring keep in mind the wheelwells are different heights in the front vs the rear. When measuring can use the body line above the wheelwell itself.

But could use a 1" zero rate on the front (cheap option), new stock leaf springs, new 2" lift springs... just some options off the top of my head.

Here is just one website that sells indivudual parts: https://www.offroaddesign.com/

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

MrCaviar

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome and the couple of options! I’ll have to measure when I actually pick it up but here are 2 pictures I have that best show the front and rear. I know the pics aren’t great but it’s all I’ve got until next week. I can clearly see the front sitting lower and just know I want to get it leveled out.

Attachments

• D72FB1FF-A81D-4413-9BBE-F598C1D71753.jpeg
    D72FB1FF-A81D-4413-9BBE-F598C1D71753.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 76799446-6B58-40AE-806F-37F467477419.jpeg
    76799446-6B58-40AE-806F-37F467477419.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 59

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I guess it would be interesting to know if there is a lift block on the rear springs.

Or I supposed if the truck had a small block in it first and someone swapped the 454 into it the additional weight made the front springs sag.

MrCaviar

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes I was told a 454 was put in. Not sure if that impacts which option would be best to raise it up but yes a 454 is in there

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
When I bought my Tuff Country 2" lift springs I had a choice of the EZ ride or the HD springs. They said the HD springs were for a big block or if you have a winch and winch bumper. I had a small block and a stock bumper/no winch. The springs lifted the front 3".
More front end weight drops the ride height.

MrCaviar

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great thanks - so then it looks like I would need the HD 2in rough country lift to level it up. Dumb question, most of those lifts I see also include leaf springs for the rear. Would you just switch the rear ones also so their new or just not install the rear and only install the front?

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from Ohio. Looks good, I like rake. JMO

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Great thanks - so then it looks like I would need the HD 2in rough country lift to level it up. Dumb question, most of those lifts I see also include leaf springs for the rear. Would you just switch the rear ones also so their new or just not install the rear and only install the front?

Hard to say- a 2" lift spring will lift 2" over a brand new factory ride height spring. So sometimes you put on a 2" lift and it actually raises it lets say 4". Now the new lift springs will settle a bit over the first year or so, but the unexpected additional 1" would be from how badly the stock springs had settled over 40 years or so.

If the rear springs look ok with no broken leaves you could leave them alone. It is a cheaper option anyway. With a new vehicle I always spend a lot of money right off the bat on maintenance items. Change all fluids/full tune up/shocks/find all the burned out bulbs/wipers/seat cover....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doesn’t “look” too saggy in front but guaranteed if it is original front springs and especially if a big block went into a sb or 6banger truck it’s sagging.

Note if you “level” the truck, it will appear to have a little Carolina squat due to the fender well opening height being lower in the rear.

If you just want OE look back, I’d try to find new “stock” height big block springs. Worst case you want a little more and can add zero rates for $50.

Look at @Redfish truck on here. That’s a 2” front lift iirc and it definitely looks “lifted” (and it looks GOOD!).

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Welcome from Pa. Someone may of added leaves or HD springs to rear to haul firewood or towing heavy loads.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@MrCaviar it is difficult to tell from your pics but it sort of looks like you already have some "lift" on that truck. Can you take some better pics of the truck? And perhaps a pic of your front leaf springs? Maybe a pic of where the rear leaf springs attach to the axle?

My truck has 2 inch blocks on the rear and a Skyjacker Soft Ride 2.5 inch leaf spring set on the front. I prefer a little rake so I pulled the front spring stack apart and removed the bottom leaf. The 2.5 inch Skyjacker lift was actually well over 3 inches from the factory. It is sitting on 33x12.50s.

Thank you @Grit dog ! Your truck is better than mine and you have a better color scheme. But I do appreciate the compliment!

You must be registered for see images attach

The Skyjacker had 5 leaf springs but I took out the bottom one and left 4 springs.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size