Highliner headliner/CB Radio and Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well I bought one of these a couple weeks ago and the truck is at the paint shop right now so when it comes back ill be installing it. Was wondering if anyone had any installation tips on how not to go threw the roof and how to install a Cobra 29 lx cb radio in it and what kind of antenna I need.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Still figuring how to mount my antenna...

...why not go out the floor and do a bed rail mount...further back and do bumper???

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Still figuring how to mount my antenna...

...why not go out the floor and do a bed rail mount...further back and do bumper???

What does a bed rail mount look like and a bumper. I have never in my life installed one. And what kind of antenna do I need?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have a tunable 4' Firestik on my mirror right now but would rather have it on the back bumper like I had one on my Tacoma. Good coax cable is sold in 3' 9' and 18' lengths, something to do about the signal works best with 9' multiples. (Dont ask, that's all I know about it lol) I have my Cobra 29 classic SWR mounted over my right foot and just 3' of coax going up behind the dash and out the wing glass. For a bumper mount I would drill a hole in the firewall, install a grommet and run the coax through and under the truck to the back. You want at least 2/3 of the antenna unblocked by metal body panels for best transmit/receive which is why on the back bumper worked good on the Tacoma since the tailgate is so short but on these Chevys you might need a 5' antenna. Just another reason I went with the mirror mount so it would be up high, but at the same time it can be a headache hitting on every tree limb on the trail or low clearance sign at a drive thru.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What about the mini antennas? Has anyone tried those

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What about the mini antennas? Has anyone tried those

I would say a mirror mount like C4 has, or the bed mount. I went through my roof to mount a Wilson 5000. Firestick, wilson 1000 or 5000 Trucker (with the base stem) is what I would recommend on the Morror, or bed rail. Grounding the antenna mount is the most important step, along with properly tuning the antenna to the Radio once it is mounted. I always add ground straps to hoods, which helps things out a lot.
Mini antennas are ok as long as you can get the lowest SWR reading on all 40. shoot for the lowest SWr reading possible...I dont like anything above 1.5 on ch 20 personally.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I always read to tune to the lowest SWR on channel 20. Since it is the middle of the channels it is the best place to get the lowest reading. Closer you get to channel 1 or 40 the tuning is more "wide" whatever that means.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well will a compact say 3' or 4' antenna get good range and reception? Anyone got the highliner headliner by the way?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well will a compact say 3' or 4' antenna get good range and reception? Anyone got the highliner headliner by the way?

Firestcks are available from 2' to 7'. You dont want them hiding behind any body work.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok. I just want to put it in a place that will look decent. Does anyone have pictures of the bed antenna and bumper antenna

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hmmm I'm really looking for a way to mount it where it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. The whole truck is getting new paint and all brand new chrome bumpers and exterior everything. Is there no way to get on to be least of an eye sore

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
My plan is to buy a reciever extenstion and mount it to that.....making it fairly secure, asthetically pleasing and somewhat easy to detach.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What exactly is a receiver extension

Forum statistics

Threads