Headliner install in no-factory-headliner cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Just installed a VintageAir system and it has really brought to light the fact that the metal roof of my cab is a literal hot plate in the summer. It just radiates heat.

So thinking about installing a factory headliner and trim. Wondering what specific pieces I need (I assume just headliner and 4 pillars) and also what installation looks like in a cab that never had a headliner. I assume there’s some drilling involved? Or is there a less obtrusive way to do it? Not super keen on drilling into the ceiling or pillars of the cab if I don’t gotta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
There is actually 8 trim pieces on a regular cab truck. You have the pillars and the whole perimeter of the headliner. The factory just used sheet metal screws for the trim and I'm guessing they didn't predrill, I suspect they just ran them in. The only screws through the headliner are the sun visor screws.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I installed one in my last truck, '79 K15. Look at LMC the have a pretty good diagram. Install the rear cab corners first, second the front A pillars, then the 4 metal trim pieces. Once you're happy with the fit, go remove everything so you can install the headliner.

Kiely

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
454-4bbl
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Currently installing one in my 74 from Brothers trucks. This one is molded to mount 4 4 inch speakers. I upgraded the speakers since they were only rated at 10 watts. At the front there is a space for a single din radio mount. I bought a single din radio that has a drop down screen. It gives you satellite radio, Bluetooth, all kinds of crap and a port to plug in a backup camera. It’s a crime, what they charge for all the plastic trim pieces but they make the installation easier and look great.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
don't know what level of finish your truck has but i have seen some Icon builds with exposed dynamat. it's an option

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell