CB Radio Antenna Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Well, I finally got around to finding the box that had the radio in it -- marked "85 GMC Radio" (imagine that! I'm getting good at hiding my own easter eggs).

I opened it up, and now I remember the whole story. It's got a digital display, and the CB portion connects to the rest of the radio by a patch cable. It does have a standard coax connector on the CB portion, and that's also where the CB mic is attached -- the mic has a reasonably-long cord so mounting it can be a ways away from the rest of the radio, yet still reach back to the driver.

Once I am getting close to having the truck's interior ready to reassemble I'll get this sent off to someone that can check it out and make sure everything's ready to go. I have one of those cassette adapters that I can plug my phone into, so I can listen to anything I have on there if the regular stations get boring.

Take Care,
KS in KCK

Attachments

• radio-box.jpg
    radio-box.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 46
  • radio1.jpg
    radio1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 47
  • radio2.jpg
    radio2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 40
  • radio3.jpg
    radio3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 40
  • radio4.jpg
    radio4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 49

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
For people that prefer simple answers, the length of the antenna (element) is what "tunes" it to a specific frequency. As a basic rule, the higher the frequency the shorter the element.

On an old school element style TV antenna, the longest elements towards the back are for the lower channels, VHF ch 2 through 13. The shorter elements near the front are for the higher channels, UHF ch 14 through 125. CB, Ham radio and short wave use the same basic rule.

My first job was installing TV antennas before cable TV providers brought their product out of the hills and offered it to the masses. Anyone else remember when the only people that could get cable TV were the ones that lived in the hills where off air antenna reception sucked?

Last edited:

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For people that prefer simple answers, the length of the antenna (element) is what "tunes" it to a specific frequency. As a basic rule, the higher the frequency the shorter the element.

On an old school element style TV antenna, the longest elements towards the back are for the lower channels, VHF ch 2 through 13. The shorter elements near the front are for the higher channels, UHF ch 14 through 125. CB, Ham radio and short wave use the same basic rule.

My first job was installing TV antennas before cable TV providers brought their product out of the hills and offered it to the masses. Anyone else remember when the only people that could get cable TV were the ones that lived in the hills where off air antenna reception sucked?
my experience was the opposite :)

only the people that lived in town where the population density afforded a return on the investment of the cable company got it.

i was the antenna rotor for many years wishing those beautiful coax cables would be strung out to us one day.

a 7' c-band dish came first though, just before i left for the army.
:(

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
my experience was the opposite :)

only the people that lived in town where the population density afforded a return on the investment of the cable company got it.

In southern California, where I grew up only the people in the hills were willing to PAY for TV reception. Southern California has more people living in the hills than most cities have people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28