High Beam Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpatters13

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custome Deluxe
Engine Size
I have an '84 Silverado K10. Recently the turn signal lever won't click between the high beams and normal beams anymore. All four headlights on but not on high-beam. What do I need to do to fix this issue?

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There’s a switch that is activated by a rod in the steering column. That switch gets gummed up and can break. It has a rotary contact in it that can also make for some odd intermittent action.

The switch is actually pretty accessible (not easy, but accessible, probably only a few cuss words) by taking the covers off the lower steering column. I don’t have a photo, but they are out there.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking it’s in the stalk or the column itself unless you know the mechanical linkage is broken. If you are still getting a click when you pull the stalk back, it’s probably the switch (though you should double check the linkage given your truck seems to have lost all switching actions but is stuck on high beams). The switch is way down on the column near or just under the dash.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Geoff gives good advice and I have nothing to add other than to say do what he has said and the job will be easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly