HIGH BEAM/LOW BEAM SWITCH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Stiles

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The headlights on my 87 R10 are stuck in the high beam position. When I try to switch them with the turn signal lever it will not click...and for some reason I though replacing the turn signal lever itself would fix the issue. I found out this was not it. So what I could use help with is whether it would be the white switch on the lower part of the steering column that needs replacing or is it the switch on the steering column where the turn signal lever hooks in to?

I hope that all made sense and if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gents!

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
IIRC, there should be a rod that the lever pushes when going from high to low beam.
Can you check that it's engaging the switch on the column?

Edit:

Thinking more about it, your turn signal switch/cam may be all in one.
Turn signal and dimmer switch.
Hopefully someone can verify.

You can also connect a new one outside the column to test. If that works then you can install permanently.

Last edited:

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Another quick question, is it tilt steering or straight column?

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
If it is tilt, the knuckle being loose will affect the high/low switch. Did that in my s-10 blazer, had to tear the column down and rebuild the knuckle it was so bad.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

Michael Stiles

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sorry for the delay in response, but the truck does have tilt wheel. When I try to switch from low beam to high beam I do see the switch at the lower end of the steering column move. This being the white switch that I assume the rod goes to. It just doesn't "click" like it usually would when it was in working condition. I may just end up tearing down the column to see if I can see everything and get a better idea of what's going on.

Michael Stiles

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Goldie Driver, thank you for that document. Huge help for getting eyes on what I'm looking for without actually having to tear anything down yet. I will use this to trouble shoot. Thank you again!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Sorry for the delay in response, but the truck does have tilt wheel. When I try to switch from low beam to high beam I do see the switch at the lower end of the steering column move. This being the white switch that I assume the rod goes to. It just doesn't "click" like it usually would when it was in working condition. I may just end up tearing down the column to see if I can see everything and get a better idea of what's going on.

That switch can be adjusted - I would try that 1st.

Glad that helped , by the way !

:waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20