Hi, new from Wisconsin..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
It hurts to see this knowing there is 2 good cabs sitting at my parents place, welcome to the forum!

I know, but how would one get said cab from there to hear without spending a grand or two?? That's the problem. Gas alone to move it would be significant, and then there's how much I'd need to pay to purchase..

Sucks 'cause I see people scrapping better stuff than this all the time elsewhere.. I keep thinking Id make a killing if I had a car hauling trailer and brought cars from the south up here. I am certain UNcle sam would make sure I couldn't do it though. They want all these "clunkers" off the road so people will buy new plastic junk.

Honestly, maybe by next summer I will be on the prowl for a '74 Blazer from the south west, non rust zones.. If I could find one with a blown engine, etc, I'd be golden!

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Your idea about hauling engines down here and body panels back is awesome.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
What's the deal w/you and the '74s?

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Welcome to the site!

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
What's the deal w/you and the '74s?

Well, I was born in 1974, and I like the grille, and headlights of the pre 80 (round lights) and I suppose if I am gonna be hunting something specific, I might as well go ahead, and be picky!

I also want a 74 cubic inch 1974 shovelhead harley some day. I have a 1974 Plymouth Valiant, that I wil never let go of, it was also my first car..

Probably silly I bet to most, but I am weird I guess.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I'm the same way, I just haven't acquired any '72 vehicles. I'd love to have a '72 chevy bodystyle truck like mine, but I may not go as extreme, maybe make it look better instead of wilder.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I also want a 74 cubic inch 1974 shovelhead harley some day. I have a 1974 Plymouth Valiant, that I wil never let go of, it was also my first car...
Any chance there is a slant six under the hood? :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh yeah, hillside hemi all the way!!

I owned a few of them and loved those motors. Wish I still had one. I had one 225 I built up with a cam/headers/4 barrel, sounded like a fargin chainsaw and didn't have a good idle but that bitch would rev and kick some ass.

All of them were in D-100 pickups, with 3 on the tree. Had one that was a 4 speed with OD manual trans, that was a sweet combo.

This pic is off wiki, but it gives you an idea what the headers looked like.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 778px-Modified_225_Slant6_engine_in_1983_Dodge_D150.jpg
    778px-Modified_225_Slant6_engine_in_1983_Dodge_D150.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 109

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That is one WILD looking setup!

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I owned a few of them and loved those motors. Wish I still had one. I had one 225 I built up with a cam/headers/4 barrel, sounded like a fargin chainsaw and didn't have a good idle but that bitch would rev and kick some ass.

All of them were in D-100 pickups, with 3 on the tree. Had one that was a 4 speed with OD manual trans, that was a sweet combo.

This pic is off wiki, but it gives you an idea what the headers looked like.

attachment.php

Yeah, I am hoping to hop it up a bit. Still deciding whether to modify a 5 speed from a Dakota, or S-10 5 speed, or just work with the 904 that it has. Some of the guys on a slant 6 forum are claiming over 300 horses getting 30mpg, with bolt on mods.. The 5 speeds are a bit more than bolt on, but doable.. Not sure if I am wanting to do it, but it sure would be nice.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
. Some of the guys on a slant 6 forum are claiming over 300 horses getting 30mpg, with bolt on mods.. .

Holy ****, I need to find me a slant six dodge p/u ! :roflbow:

Rusty Burb for sale! :Moon:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Holy ****, I need to find me a slant six dodge p/u ! :roflbow:

Rusty Burb for sale! :Moon:

Ha, yeah, not sure if they are talking 30mpg in a truck pulling a boat.

Most of them are running 2 door darts, and dropping 5 speeds in them, installing multiport fuel injection (from a GM 3800) and turbos (again off a GM 3800) and getting between 27 and 30 mpg highway.

I am thinking a guy should be able to not go whole hog, but get decent power and gas mileage out of a Valiant (like a dart) with that overdrive in it.

Going from auto to stick is the part I am not sure I wanna tackle. I was even thinking about pulling the removable bell housing off a 4L60E and putting a slant six manual transmission bell housing on it, using the 700r4 valve body, and seeing if that would work. I could get lock up and overdrive then, and I bet it would do well. I used to get 20 mpg easy as it was, I bet with the lower 1st gear, and overdrive, it would both wake up the accelleration, and give it a bit better fuel economy.

When I suggested it on their site though, I was accused of sacrelige, that the 904 is a bajillion times better, than that crappy GM one (though it's ok to pull GM fuel injection and turbo's and manual trannys, but I was a heretic) Anyhow, I may just go ahead and try to find a 904 with lock up for it, and live with that. But for now, I think fixing this truck is more doable at the moment..

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I never had a 904 trans, but I had enough experiences, bad ones with the 727's that I don;t miss those old Chrysler trans one bit.

It is amazing the things you are saying they ar doing with the GM injection and turbos. I did my slant 6 thing back in the late 80's and early 90's, there wasn't much to do back then with them unless you got some aftermarket **** from Clifford.

I know in stock form they are an amazing and reliable motor. And they are seeming to be real hard to find anymore at least around my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85