New from the Netherlands (Europe) • 1980 GMC C1500 Stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wrench At Home

Reaction score
First Name
IJje
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now, soaking up a lot of information, and finally decided to join. I live in the Netherlands (Europe) where American cars are pretty rare, especially the ones that are driven daily (and not only seeing the light of day on sunday afternoons or at car shows, lol).

I always wanted to own a classic (40 years + is officially considered a classic over here) American car or truck with a V8. Having previously owned a 2000 Chrysler Neon and a 2003 Dodge SRT-4 (which I loved as well) it was finally time for double the amount of cylinders!

So about 1,5 years ago I bought my 1980 GMC C1500 Stepside with a SBC 350. It has been partially restored some time ago but I don't know if that was before or after someone shipped it to the Netherlands in june 2009. Overall it's in pretty good shape, especially the exterior, although I discovered some gnarly rust in the cab floor recently which has to be addressed soon.

Since I bought the truck I have done some basic maintenance to it like plugs, wires, air filter, oil change, valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets etc. I also replaced the steering wheel with a billet aluminum one from Eddie Motorsports and I have restored my ashtray mechanism.

I try to capture my maintenance and modification journey as much as possible on camera so I can easily look back later at everything I did.
I make video's of all this footage for my YouTube channel which I (re)started back in februari this year, because it might just help someone that's trying similar things. For anyone that's interested, check me out at https://www.youtube.com/c/WrenchAtHome/

I have a lot of stuff planned for the truck, like replacing the seat belts, doing a full brake rebuild, doing some rust repair on the cab floor and replacing the audio system with a complete Retrosound setup. But most importantly, I plan to keep driving her a lot!

Some pics of my truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for all the information that's already on here, and thanks in advance for everything that is yet to come!

Last edited:

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now, soaking up a lot of information, and finally decided to join. I live in the Netherlands (Europe) where American cars are pretty rare, especially the ones that are driven daily (and not only seeing the light of day on sunday afternoons or at car shows, lol).

I bet that tow hitch claims a few casualties. Nice truck

Wrench At Home

Reaction score
First Name
IJje
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
I bet that tow hitch claims a few casualties ! Nice truck.

Thank god that hitch is removable, but yes it does a great job protecting my rear chrome lol! Thanks man!

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I made up a piece that slides into the hitch receiver, to tidy it up and encourage people not to stand on the chrome bumper.

Wrench At Home

Reaction score
First Name
IJje
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
I made up a piece that slides into the hitch receiver, to tidy it up and encourage people not to stand on the chrome bumper.

That's very clever, thanks for showing me! Might be a fun weekend project some day.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
welcome nice truck, stepper owner too!

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. Nice truck!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas nice looking truck.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome from NE Georgia

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Welcome!

I also had a 2005 Neon SRT-4. I bought it through the military sales program when I was stationed in Germany, so they shipped it over there for me for free. That was a fun car to drive around the back roads of Germany and on the Autobahn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL