Help with manual Remote Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dak697

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually
Engine Size
Soon to be a 6.0L
Hi

I have a 1986 1 ton Silverado. Power windows, AC Cruise

It also has the manual remote mirror knobs on the Driver's Door and on the Dash for the Passenger Door. The mirrors I have on the Truck do not have that option they are just mirrors.

What do the mirrors look like that would be considered Manual Remote Mirrors.

Any pictures/part# would be great

Thanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here are the C/K available options sheets for MY 1986. I can't see any mention of remote mirrors (see far right column on page 3):

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Possible that panels were swapped from 89-91 suburban? They came with power mirrors. Could you post a picture of the remote switch?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like the truck had some old Caddy mirrors swapped in at some point. They would have been small, which is probably why they aren't there anymore.

dak697

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually
Engine Size
Soon to be a 6.0L
Here is a couple of pictures of the controls.
1 of the door panel and 1 of the Dash mounted control.

I took a the passenger door, there is an imprint of the old mirror, it does look small

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, those were from and old Caddy or Buick or something else probably from the 70's.

dak697

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually
Engine Size
Soon to be a 6.0L
Thanks for the help.. Its weird though, I found a set of Suburban Mirrors that were listed as Manual Remote Mirrors, sent a couple of emails about these but they are just Manual Mirrors. I let him know that the description of Manual Remote is a little misleading... Anyone know what the Suburban 1989-1991 look like??

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Not that it has anything to do with this thread but;

Another thing that looks out of place is the glove box. It's different than the way I've always seen them. Normally in my experience, when the glove box is closed, the door fits into a recess in the dash. The result is that the face lays flush with the surface of the dash front:

In the image shown above, the door doesn't appear be the type that fits into a recess in the dash. The entire door seems to seat so that is outside of the dash surface - and the face is raised rather than flush:

I was wondering if anyone knows: What would be the designation that would cause a C/K square body to have this type of glove box design?

IOW - does anyone know if this feature depends on - for example:

1. Model year

2.C/K drive

3. Chevy/GMC division

4. Trim package level

5. Body style

The reason I'm asking for help is because of this:

1987 Chevy / GMC pickup cab. This cab is brand new, no miles. Comes with glass, rear slider, complete dash, pedals, and brake booster. No doors.

Asking price is $4000. I have made an offer, but my concern is that this cab isn't the proper application for my 1986 GMC Sierra K3500 (single rear wheel). Note the glove box in the lower left image

I'm almost done restoring my truck - and upgrading it from a base Sierra to a Sierra Classic. I have only used NOS or near perfect OEM sheet metal up to this point. The cab is the final step. I figure it would cost at least $2000 to repair my current cab. It is a mess:

Just as far as patch panels, I'm looking at; floor pans, floor supports, inner and outer rockers, cab corners - plus labor costs. Actually $2000 might be a low figure.

And when it is all done, it will be a patched together cab. I don't care how good the body guy is; a cab made up of a bunch of welded together sheet metal panels can't compare to a factory assembled cab.

So does anyone know if that cab is the correct one for my truck? Also does anyone recognize that red object that is attached to the lower part of the dash bezel on the far left (next to the headlight switch hole)?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That glove box door looks just like any other. It just doesn't fit very well. Likely from a broken/separating lower hinge and a loose or worn latch. Even if it's seen very little use, all it takes is one time of someone trying to close something in there that doesn't quite fit. I've owned years '77 through '90, all of those doors fit flush to the dash.