Should I trade for a Square?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I've got a couple that I have high marks on; they are tilt wheels for manual tranny trucks. I have a couple from 83 back and one for 84 up. They are very difficult to get hold of. I have several for automatics. Yes, being on the left side of the country (west coast, I'm not calling YOU a lefty) has to be considered in pricing as well.

HS
LOL, no lefty here. More an independent centrist with libertarian leanings and I live in the most red part of Central Washington.
I wonder what it would cost to ship one of your columns out to me?

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I don't know much about a plow, (years of manual shoveling in Michigan) but if it has this kit? https://www.snowplowsdirect.com/timbren-suspension-enhancement-system
It read it should be even better.

So, my thought was, how about putting a plow on what you have now?, about 5k of stuff?, plus or minus obviously.

Also, if you want a square, and he wants your shiny 300k? mi. fo' door?, and you don't mind half the interior space and fixing stuff, maybe another 5-10k?, plus or minus obviously, depending upon wear n tear etc.

I'd go to "Strick"...for the steerin' schtick, shippin' n all, would be the "Trick"!

Uh...whatcha' waitin' for?!..it's only money (they said it would be fun)

Is it feasible to keep what you have for year round dd, buy his at 6k for winter? <this

Would you miss what you have now?

Looking at your truck pic,...odd place to carry keys, but easy to find I guess. ;p

Either way, have fun, hug your loved ones, and enjoy the trip.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Really torn on the decision.

Further inspection reveals a 70-80 400ci 2 bolt main as the power plant. Pretty sure it's a 700R4, square pan and a 4spd column, np208.. runs ok. Has a quadrajet needing rebuild probably, but has new distributor, wires and plugs. Frame is not cracked behind power steering either. All in all not a bad rig, however...

He said he can sell my Rado for $6k and 10% finders fee for him. Possible cash now or possible cash later when the square sells, but I'd need tires and a windshield, maybe a carburetor pretty much right away. Agonizing this decision and the wife says either works for her so no help there.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
To your original question: NO
Why: There are better candidates out there.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hmm, now that update is in? Uh...NO, not a good deal for you.
A while back had a 400 swapped in (different vehicle), ended in $4k of bad dreams.
After that fiasco, thought I had learned something...nope, still learning.

Had a college try to do a rebuild on my 84 305 at 200k (g/f's father was main tech/teacher), they screwed the pooch on that after 6+ months of waiting, they showed me a bright orange (oops, clue) painted rebuild on the shelf with "we can put this one in now" since g/f father died due to a car falling on him doing a "just be a minute" quick thing without the jacks stands...still learning.

Three times the cost later, engine turned out to be a messed up 77 2bl Caprice engine, a Big no no for CA smog, college said "sorry, no warranty or refunds etc.", so royally screwed.
After all said and done, for same total price, could have had a super engine done CA legal, and would still be rolling in it...still learning.

Maybe keep your non leaking possibly rebuilt ride with comfy clean interior that is running fine, not trade it for a clapped out square with lots of things to fix, ($10-15k or more now) just because it has a plow.

Noticed in the square pic, beside other clues, exhaust residue on the body, if it had cats? hmm, no bueno?.
Noticed it did not look "taken care of" where yours does. (hence odd engine, column, windshield, tires, possible trans, axles, gears, carb...yikes, still learning).

Usually means...mmm $20k, and lotsa' headaches, and you give him your truck to boot?.

Rent one when you need it or hire it done, while you ask the guys Here for help finding a "Nice" square to work on, plow with, and for fun.

In the moment, emotions aside, you can get a plow you can afford right now, toss it on what you have, maybe transfer it to the better deal later?.

I have not looked for a used plow, nor know what the cost is, maybe a couple thousand? Might be some shops up there that took a trade in for a bigger plow? who knows...still learning.

Give your wife a big long hug, hot sea salt bath, and a foot rub, make a nice meal just for her so she feels loved, wanted, pursued and more important than a snow plow,...you just saved $20k and your truck, wife is happy and smiling!...we all are still learning.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Really? I rebuild columns and sell for $100 or so with a core trade. I need to add "Biden-flation" to my cost I suppose. Dang I need to move some of my columns at that price. Wow...

HS
What would it be to ship one (Automatic, '78) to 84654 including freight?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In light of current information, I'd still do the trade. The trucks are probably still very similar in current value, but one is increasing while the other is decreasing and probably will still be decreasing for several years.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I'll have to check. You may source Flaming River unless the Biden-flation has caught up with them too.
I'm interested in what you have. Unless you would rather I buy from them for some reason...

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
I would do that trade. Meyer power angle plow has to be worth 3k or so and as mentioned earlier, squares are appreciating as well as plenty of parts and mostly inexpensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad