Should I trade my 73 C20 for a 1998 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 20
Engine Size
So my truck needs quite a bit more work. Leaking oil, trans fluid, exhaust leaks, etc. Doable work but work nonetheless. It runs and shift great though.

This guy has a 1998 Chevy Suburban super clean with 60k miles, no problems. Should i trade?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wouldn't. Not unless your main goal is reliable daily transportation. Several years ago I would have maybe made such a trade (I'm a Suburban guy) but these days, squarebody trucks of all kinds are rapidly growing in popularity and value, where the later GMT 400 rigs are still on their way down in value. The pickups may have leveled off and slightly started to climb, but Burbs always tail behind as far as the market goes.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Market value of a clean, especially low mileage, Burb depends on the area. They're well known as reliable haulers of people and goods. We payed $3000 for my '99 C1500, 5.7, with 130K on it, ten years ago. To replace it now would probably be twice that.
But pickup values are higher than 400/OBS Burb values, unless the Burb is a 2500, 4x4 or big block with a full floating axle. Most desirable pickups are RCSBs of course, but 20/30 squares are desirable for haulers.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I would not. But thats my opinion. If you think about it, your 73 can bring more money than that 98.
If your struggling and that 73 is all you have and you needed a dependable driver, then thats a good reason.

I just bought a super clean 98 suburban for $500 without a drivers door. Would you sell me your 73
for $500 or a $1000?? Think hard about it before you do it!!! These trucks are cheap even complete.
The one I bought had all the parts with the truck except the driver door!!!! Then I sold it to cash for junk
cars lol and got most my money back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would not, seems like you already made up your mind not to anyway.
Does a '98 still have to go thru emissions in CA? I don't really know anything about the regs there but I have heard they are kinda tough. If there is an inspection issue might be another reason for the offer. Though I don't know if a '73 has to get an inspection either.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Any gas vehicle after 1975 has to be smogged, but at least in my county, there are no inspections just smog. My 73 is smog free which is a big reason I bought it.
Hellz yeah to no smog checks ever again. I'm pretty sure the smog check system will soon be use to start confiscating and destroying vehicles deemed "unacceptable". Basically Cash-4-Clunkers at gunpoint.

I know that California wants to destroy my truck. Not having to brush up against the system at all (I also have a '73) buys me a few more years of peace.

I grew up in an oil-refinery-dominated town. Our HS team was the "Oilers", next town over was the "Shells". As in Shell Oil Company, their logo was the Shell logo. (*) My grandfather was chief medical officer for Shell Oil -- a cynic might say his job was encouraging employees to smoke cigarettes so they would die promptly at 66-yo (due to cancer caused by a *different* evil company) and not collect pension benefits.

Ayway, despite growing up around all this, I know shockingly little about the chemistry of oil refining. Refineries were just THERE, had always been there, like the sooty orange sky and the constant smell of tar and asphalt. It never occurred to me that someday I would need to BUILD MY OWN REFINERY on the down-low just to have things like gasoline, diesel, and naptha, because the US had become an idiot dystopia. In fact, I'm going to grab my hardbound CRC Handbook of Chemistry & Physics right now, stash it someplace safe.

BRetty

* -- How cool would it have been if the town was owned by Sinclair, and had a huge green dinosaur mascot? Standard, not so much.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I wanna 2x @RustyNail's comment about how the 98-99 and later vehicles have all sorts of restrictions and red tape for even an engine swap that *improves* the emissions and fuel economy.

I don't remember if it was this forum or some other, but somebody documented the whole process for getting California approval for an engine swap. He owned a small livery service with a fleet of 5+ Suburbans, so he was experienced with dealing with CA DMV red tape. One '98 Suburban he bought, certainly used, was just a lemon, nothing but problems. He quickly tried to cut his losses by swapping its engine for one from a '99 he owned that had been in a mild wreck.

OMGWTFBBQ

The only good thing I will say is that the CA DMV put in a lot of work helping him comply with all the regulations and the absurd documentation and testing requirements to get this vehicle smogged and registered. He had a dedicated like "case manager" who walked him through checklists and warned him of things that can cause re-tests and delays. This inspector, and it seems the department, was on his side and wanted him to succeed and get this done.

Of course, "succeed" here means "actually survive this gantlet of Kafka-esque opaque conflicting orders without killing yourself in despair, so you can simply do business in CA". And the basic "guilty-until-proven-innocent" tone of the whole thing, the presumption everybody is either a chop-shop or just gushing toxic waste [like every single factory in China], is ugly.

The WTF moment for me was when he had to get the final emissions inspection, at a CA-certified testing place chosen by the DMV [this was some kind of Super-Smog-Check that only certain testing places can do.] He was told the name and address of the testing place ONLY THAT MORNING, and had a 4-HR WINDOW to get there for inspection. The reason for this is the state assumed that if he knew the testing place in advance, he would go there and bribe them to pass his vehicle. I assume this must be a big problem. (It turned out he failed on a single parameter but it was a faulty replacement sensor, the inspector had warned him about this so he brought a spare and personally replaced it in the parking lot (since the testing place wasn't allowed to do that work, I get that part) and passed and got his smog cert. Well, for a year at least.)

Again, this is a guy who has been talking to the DMV about this for months now, checking off boxes on forms, but the assumption is that everybody is a liar. Maybe, when government laws and rules become so burdensome that most people have to routinely cheat or work "grey" just to get by, and you have to hire more and more govt. inspectors to enforce these laws and also collect bribes to avoid these laws, and everybody thinks it is bulls**t, and all laws even for violent crime seem to be capriciously enforced and nobody cares, maybe you are in a doom loop. Just Sayin'.

I'll just leave this last thought as an "exercise for the student". You are invited to compare the concern, the govenrment oversight and regulations for:

Installing a '99 engine in a '98 vehicle
vs.

chemical and surgical sex changes for 13-yo-children

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe