Trading 74 C20 for 73 C30 Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacRuidh

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
454 V8
I've got a bit of a dilemma and although I think I know the answer I was all your opinions. I've got a 74 C20 Project truck with a 454 and sm465. Its got new brakes, master cylinder, booster, plus carb, wires. It runs and drives but the engine is pretty tired on it. I've got a chance to trade for a 73 C30 Dually with a 350 and a 4 speed. Bodywise the dually is in much better shape but supposedly the engine is locked up. The rest of the truck mechanically is unknown. Logically I know I already have a running truck though it needs alot of suspension work, but a dually really appeals to me as well. Curious what you all think.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
If you're getting the dually to tow with, a big block would be better. The 350 will do it, just working harder to do it. But if you're going to have to do engine work or a swap, then you could build the dually to do what you need it to, big block included. Just my 2¢....

MacRuidh

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
454 V8
Mainly it would just be for fun, much like the idea for my current c20. It’s just the idea of trading for something worse mechanically that has be hesitating. But I sure am tempted because it’s a dually

MacRuidh

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
454 V8
The dually versus my c20

Attachments

• IMG_4288.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4289.jpeg
    IMG_4289.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 62

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dually...for a few reasons.

Financially...an early standard cab dually is worth way more than any C20. I see nicely restored/ restomodded ones selling for $35-50k pretty often. I have never seen a c20 anywhere near that. If you are going to put time/money into a truck, put it into one that has the best chance for resale.

Purpose...a C30 can do everything a C20 can do except fit in narrow spaces. A C20 will never be able to match the capability of a C30.

Anesthetics...it's a C30 dually. If you tell people you bought it off Clint Eastwood, they'd nod in understanding agreement. You can do the same with the c20, but you'd have to say Sanford and Sons.

Last edited:

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nobody can tell you what is best for you, we can only tell you what we like. I like the looks of both.
A guy with a tackle box of tools can change out a small block chevy in a squarebody between breakfast and lunch.
I replaced some metal around the rockers and wheel arches of a 74 C10 this week. Fiberglass, sand, bondo, sand, prime, sand, bondo, sand, repeat, you get the story. I like the look of finished body work, but getting there sucks. I don't mind the process so much of replacing an engine.
If it matters, yes, the resale on the dually will be more. It may be less likely you will drive a dually everyday.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Why do you say the c30 body is in better shape than the c20? Because it has some paint on it? Your c20 looks alright from the photo just a little patina. If you like the dually look more than yours and you like the blue paint instead of the patina then I suppose thats the way to go, especially if you're more willing to do mechanical work than body work. As for value, you can only realize the trucks value when you sell it. Realized money is nice, but is any squarebody owner in it for the money? When trading up, you shouldn't take the deal because its a better value truck, you should take the deal only if you like the c30 more.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Imho, stick with what you got. It runs and the body has nothing to hide. The dually needs an engine and who knows what lurks beneath that cheap blue paint.

Really though, there's only one correct answer. Keep your truck and buy the dually too, lol.

MacRuidh

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
454 V8
I don’t care about resell value because I intend to build a truck to keep it. As for the body, mine has the typical rust spots but it’s got some damage too. Huge dent in the bottom of the bed like they high centered on a log, door skins might need replacing as well as a lot of the exterior trim. The dually is a big unknown and I’m probably going to go check it out in person next week

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don’t care about resell value because I intend to build a truck to keep it. As for the body, mine has the typical rust spots but it’s got some damage too. Huge dent in the bottom of the bed like they high centered on a log, door skins might need replacing as well as a lot of the exterior trim. The dually is a big unknown and I’m probably going to go check it out in person next week

Unless that dually is absolutely damage and rust free, like no rot, cracked fiberglass or dents whatsoever, I’d pass. Unless you really need the dually. The 454/SM465 is a killer tow combo. I had a c30 dually like that with 4.10 I towed stupid weight with it at reasonable speed.

The value is higher on the C30 than the C20, but you’d have more money in the C30 too. Dually are cool but tires are expensive if you’re gonna use it. Every dually I had/have get about half the tire life of a SRW and use 2 more tires. They get worse mpg and are heavier. If you use aluminum wheels you can only rotate the tires left to right without breaking the bead/balancing all the wheels. Duallys ride rougher as their tire sizes are rated at much higher pressure for weight capacity. You can air down but you need to inflate before towing.

The benefits are huge payload (4k-5k lbs) 8 sidewalls vs 4 sidewalls for stability. They look killer. I love duallys. Their mpg is steady usually 4.56 or 4.10 gears so 9-10 mpg empty or towing in town or highway.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is pure speculation without putting eyes on the dually first. Not even a quality question that can receive good answers or advice yet.
But based simply on the assumption that the dually is somehow in better shape than your truck (desires for either configuration aside), engines are cheap, easy and straightforward to replace.
I’d rather r&r an engine than rebuild the steering and suspension. And it would cost less if you’re frugal and find a motor without being over charged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod