Help w/ steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh yes I see what you are getting at. I mean to remove it completely off the steering shaft lol. Sorry.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
So, in theory should I remove that, find one that fits my box? Or just try and see if the box is incorrect and go from there?

I hate to sound like an idiot but this is my first time messing with this.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So, in theory should I remove that, find one that fits my box? Or just try and see if the box is incorrect and go from there?

I hate to sound like an idiot but this is my first time messing with this.

Are you sure there it's lined up with the splines correctly? If so and it really doesnt fit then you will need to either get the correct gear or a different joint. I would install the rag joint on the bench and then put the box on the truck.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Make sure that the two components are made to be assembled together:

Measure the ID of the coupling flange bore and measure the OD of the stub shaft. Then, if they are equal, verify that the spline count is the same for both. Finally, if there is a surface that is machined flat on the shaft, check that it is the same width as the corresponding flat in the flange bore.

How far - if at all - can you get the shaft into the flange bore? Did you check for foreign objects in the bore, distorted splines in either part, that the shaft is true, etc?

laurentj23

Reaction score
First Name
Laurentius
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
It is easier to just replaced the whole steering shaft with u joint. You can pretty much fit any size spline since it's adjustable.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I'm sure you noticed the Jeep mod. It made a huge difference on my K10 and was cheaper to do than the rag joint cost. You should be able to find one at a junkyard for $8-15.