Heater Control Cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My '84 GMC K1500 didn't come with a heat only control unit. Does anyone have pictures that show which cables go where on the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can post some tomorrow if no one does before then. My 83 was originally ac, but it was gutted. I just got a complete assembly from a 73 (control panel, cables, inside airbox assembly all connected, and the fan and metal housing from the engine compartment) and it bolted in easily.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I can post some tomorrow if no one does before then. My 83 was originally ac, but it was gutted. I just got a complete assembly from a 73 (control panel, cables, inside airbox assembly all connected, and the fan and metal housing from the engine compartment) and it bolted in easily.

Thanks I would appreciate some pics. Mine came with an a/c control panel, without the cables hooked up. The truck doesn't even have a/c lol

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here is the non ac setup I have. If you are going to use the a.c. panel and inside box, you're will be significantly different. I believe they are controlled by vacuum lines. There were a couple of recent threads on them I will try to find and post a link. The top control cable controls the right hand arm.
You must be registered for see images attach

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Here is the non ac setup I have. If you are going to use the a.c. panel and inside box, you're will be significantly different. I believe they are controlled by vacuum lines. There were a couple of recent threads on them I will try to find and post a link. The top control cable controls the right hand arm.

I'm putting in a heater only control. The a/c unit is up for sale.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It is a simple swap. Just get the entire heat only system and it just bolts in. When I got mine, I left the heater controls attached to the inside heater box. No losing parts. Then just pull the fan box from the engine compartment with the wiring and you are golden.

A couple of suggestions.

Get a new heater core. Cheap insurance.

Be sure to get the factory heater box wiring loom. It comes from the fan switch, through the firewall in a large rubber plug/grommet, then ends at the fan motor. Flat multicolor wire that looks like trailer wire.

Cut a hole in the firewall under the new heater box housing (covered by the housing when installed) , right side under the resistor about 3" x5". Since you will have made a block off plate for the old ac system holes in the firewall, your heater needs a place for air to enter the system. Otherwise, you get lots of fan noise but no air movement (ask me how I know).

Last edited:

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here is a pic of the block off plate for the ac holes.

The blue square is approximately where you would cut the air supply hole in the firewall.

The pink is where the factory wiring harness comes through. Get the entire harness from the switch to the fan motor.

The green is a bastard of a bolt that I would recommend leaving out when installing the fan box. It is easy to install with the inner fender removed. However, if you ever needed to remove the housing, say to swap out the heater core, good luck getting to it with the inner fender installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88