Headlight buzzer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trucknut85

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dragging up a dead thread

Sorry about dragging up a dead thread, but what is the wire with the red arrow, i've got the black connector, but not sure what the other wire is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I've tried a few links posted here and other places with no luck. I did come across a post on another forum that gave me the exact info I needed.

Thought I'd share it hear since I had to dig so much. I did this on my 86 k10 in less than 5 minutes. Spent over 2 hours looking for the exact info.

Tools needed:

-Radio Shack buzzer ~$4 (p#2730059 is what I bought)
-Pliers (or use fingers to pull fuses)
-Small zip tie

Hook the end of the red wire around one of a blade on the LPS fuse and plug it back in.

Hook the end of the black wire around the end of a blade on the IGN fuse and plug it back in.

zip tie the buzzer to something sturdy or another wire.

Test and enjoy.

This appears to have been an option on the 81 light truck, listed in the service manual on page 8B-6 figure 8B-11. I don't care to post a link to the other site, but thought it wise not to. There is a picture posted of that figure in the service manual.

Do I smell a sticky? LOL wish there was one when I looked for it. If the LPS and IGN info has been posted, I must be blind or didn't use the correct wording.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
FWIW, here are a couple of dwgs and a bit of discussion of what components will cause the convenience center buzzer to alarm.

How to save a ton of money by making your own buzzer. Just as an example, this shows how to get a buzzer when the "key is in the ignition" and the driver's door is opened. Only the driver's door causes this - that is why there are two ground leads connected to the door jamb switch on that side. Dome lights (white) and ignition key in the switch (light green). But if any of the other safeties are grounded, the buzzer will sound as well:

The way the buzzer assembly internals are wired to the terminal stabs/socket:

Two black ground leads are connected to the convenience center:

One of them is the ground for the shared warning buzzer (H/L's left on, key in the ignition, seat belt retracted). It is the larger of the two.

The other is the dedicated ground for the horn relay.

6) Gray wire going to "Instrument" panel fuse on main fusebox with a 5-amp fuse. Circuit 8A in diagram, 'Fused No.44 Circuit' on circuit identification sheet.

The gray wire is is the rheostat controlled (H/L dimmer) power to the 5 lamps within the instrumentation panel. That rheostat also provides power for the back lighting of the factory radio/ HVAC control panel - via the gray 8 circuit. A branch is also lead up the the convenience center to provide the "Lights are on" signal to the aforementioned buzzer.

What the CC wiring diagram looked liked before I scribbled all over it:

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I forgot to post the pic from the manual:

picture.php

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
1976 to 1986 and maybe later only had a headlamp buzzer if you had Option T63 { Buzzer Headlamp Warning }. The 1984 wiring diagrams mention Option T63 next to the seatbelt buzzer... Probably because they used this buzzer for more than the belt warning. I don't have a diagram for this option. I'll look at the G Van wiring diagrams when I'm home for thanksgiving.

Not difficult to add a headlamp warning buzzer since the buzzer is already there.
There's a Key inserted switch in the column. When the key is inserted the doorjamb switch completes a ground to the seatbelt buzzer warning that you left the key in the ignition. Ground the same Circuit 80 Light Green seatbelt buzzer wire to trigger the buzzer when the parking lamps are on with the door open.

Micro ISO SPDT or a NO SPST relay.
Relay Switch Terminals...
-Relay terminal 30 should wire to the dash Ground.
-Relay terminal 87 should Tee into Circuit 80 LT-GRN wire that runs from the steering column key inserted switch to the seatbelt buzzer.
Relay Coil Terminals
-Relay terminal 85 (Coil -) should tee into Circuit 159 TAN wire that runs from the LH doorjamb switch to the "You left the ignition Key inserted" switch in the column.
-Relay terminal 86 (Coil +) should tee into a parking lamp wire from the headlamp switch. Circuit 9 is shown as an un-populated position in the headlamp switch plug... Circuit 9 is output to "Tail Lamp" in the diagram legend next to the switch. GM probably used it for option T63. If this position is empty and it's hot with the parking lamps on and cold with them off this is your boy. Crimp a Packard 56 terminal on both ends of a wire and insert them in your relay socket and postion 9 of the headlamp switch plug. Otherwise tee into the Circuit 40 ORN parking lamp wires.

BTW if you want to kill the seatbelt buzzer without stopping the other warning buzzers... unplug the wires at the seatbelt retractors.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The first modification I make after any vehicle purchase is to seek out the buzzer and destroy it.

Yes.
Seek!
And?
Destroy!

:headbang:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

**** that buzzer! :flipthebird:

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I've tried a few links posted here and other places with no luck. I did come across a post on another forum that gave me the exact info I needed.

Thought I'd share it hear since I had to dig so much. I did this on my 86 k10 in less than 5 minutes. Spent over 2 hours looking for the exact info.

Tools needed:

-Radio Shack buzzer ~$4 (p#2730059 is what I bought)
-Pliers (or use fingers to pull fuses)
-Small zip tie

Hook the end of the red wire around one of a blade on the LPS fuse and plug it back in.

Hook the end of the black wire around the end of a blade on the IGN fuse and plug it back in.

zip tie the buzzer to something sturdy or another wire.

Test and enjoy.

This appears to have been an option on the 81 light truck, listed in the service manual on page 8B-6 figure 8B-11. I don't care to post a link to the other site, but thought it wise not to. There is a picture posted of that figure in the service manual.

Do I smell a sticky? LOL wish there was one when I looked for it. If the LPS and IGN info has been posted, I must be blind or didn't use the correct wording.
didn't realize until today, the buzzer doesn't work if you turn the headlight knob to turn on the interior lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind