Header Recommendation for Lowered Stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meweeble

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Stepside
Engine Size
Hi All,

Wish I found the board sooner. I have an 86 GMC Stepside. 2.5 Belltechs in front, re-arched leafs in the back. I am in the process of changing the V6 to a 350 and am wondering what people have been using for long tube headers. There are lots out there but I have read about installation clearance iproblems. I know I will have to be aware of some ground clearance issues, but whats the best option people have used?

Thanks,

Kevin

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Welcome, if all you have is a 2.5in drop in the front you can use your basic long tube headers with out having to worry about scrapping the pavement. As far as installation clearance issues, your 86 will have a left side drop in the trans crossmember that the exhaust shop will have to route your left side exhaust piping through.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Why long tubes?? Why not use Shorty's if your worried about ground clearance issues? If it were me and I just wanted to use long tubes I'd probably just go with a cheap set at least until you drive it around for a few month and make sure your not going to smash an expensive set off the ground.As J Knight said though you should be fine. My truck is in the process of being bagged and body dropped and I have long tubes on a big block that will require very minor shortening while laying the body on the ground. I've always had good luck with Flowtech, hedman, and summit brand for cheap headers. All 3 are cheap and I've never had an issue with fitment on any of them. Just terrible paint flake, but I generally wrap mine in header wrap so not a big deal.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have Hooker, Hedman, and Flowtech... The fit is good on all of them. Hedman has a couple different models too, some hang lower than others. If they tuck up in the rails too far, you can run into shifter linkage clearance problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD