Has anybody modded the sun visors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi all. I wanted to stop by and ask if anyone has ever ran electricity to the sun visors. I'm going to recover mine, so I figured now is the time. I would like to add flip open mirros with LEDs in them. Not sure if it's possible with the factory ones though. Unless the arm itself is hollow. I believe you would run a wire from under the headliner, through the arm, and into the visor.

I know that you could just buy different visors, but few (if any) are the same size as the visors in the 81-87 Chevy trucks. Most of the modern ones are somewhat smaller. And I'd like to keep the factory look as much as possible. Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hi all. I wanted to stop by and ask if anyone has ever ran electricity to the sun visors. I'm going to recover mine, so I figured now is the time. I would like to add flip open mirros with LEDs in them. Not sure if it's possible with the factory ones though. Unless the arm itself is hollow. I believe you would run a wire from under the headliner, through the arm, and into the visor.

I know that you could just buy different visors, but few (if any) are the same size as the visors in the 81-87 Chevy trucks. Most of the modern ones are somewhat smaller. And I'd like to keep the factory look as much as possible. Thanks!
i believe if you found a pair from a loaded f series late 90s (they possibly did this) or found a cloth covered gmt 800(maybe 400) with the same features but having those damn plastic pull outs instead of just being the right length, you could find OEM probably. otherwise its gonna look tacky unless its professionally wraped after( I think)( someone may make universal things which can be placed on the bars , maybe.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6

I've wondered about that too.

Where would you run the wires to hide them going up the Pillars?

On much newer trucks they have those long plastic trim pieces that you could hide them behind. I don't think these trucks get them till the next Generation, unless maybe its the late 80s ones do and I just never noticed it.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

On much newer trucks they have those long plastic trim pieces that you could hide them behind. I don't think these trucks get them till the next Generation, unless maybe its the late 80s ones do and I just never noticed it.
If I am correct..A-pillar covers started in the mid 70's with trucks that had headliners. I believe the 70's have different mounting hole locations than the 80's but can be interchanged by drilling a small hole. Try and find originals and clean/ repaint as needed as aftermarket are flimsy.

Again, I may be wrong but I think the wires ran inside the metal and not the pillar cover. It's been awhile since I looked at one.

Personally, I'd find 2 passenger ones with the factory lights, modify one for drivers side, upgrade to led, reupholster. I recently paid $90 to have some standard visors reupholstered.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
If I am correct..A-pillar covers started in the mid 70's with trucks that had headliners. I believe the 70's have different mounting hole locations than the 80's but can be interchanged by drilling a small hole. Try and find originals and clean/ repaint as needed as aftermarket are flimsy.

Again, I may be wrong but I think the wires ran inside the metal and not the pillar cover. It's been awhile since I looked at one.

Personally, I'd find 2 passenger ones with the factory lights, modify one for drivers side, upgrade to led, reupholster. I recently paid $90 to have some standard visors reupholstered.

Really, I never knew that. I learn something new here almost every time I come.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size

Underneath the headliner. Get power from the dome light. The flip cover is the switch that turns on the lights.

But it sounds like the burb passenger side has me covered. Beyond that I might have to rig something up myself. Might just have to cannibalize a burb passenger side and add it to the driver's side. Someone suggested other non-square vehicles, but I don't think any of those will be the right shape and size. I'm looking for factory shape and size.

Does anyone know if the arms that hold up the visors are hollow? Haven't pulled mine off yet.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I have a lighted rearview mirror in my truck.

Two ways to run power up the A-pillars. Down and dirty, a guy can tuck wires up against the A-pillar and the windshield seal and they are relatively out of sight. The other thing is the A-pillars are hollow, so when you remove the rearview mirror the mount is in a big hole in the metal and you can just run the wires right down the center of the A-pillar from there. Other than a little minor fishing it's really not to hard to do.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The factory lighted ones have a groove for a wire. It's pretty small 22-24 gauge. Your original are solid.

Looks like I might be making some out of steel!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are a sample of the ford ones I mentioned, looks like either too short or possible the screw pattern may not be the same , but posted to show anyways
You must be registered for see images attach

This is apparently a 88-91 suburban visor set

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag