Best Spent $$ for Square Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Great points. I probably should have been clearer that I think paint is near last in the process for the reasons you cite. I intended “body” to be all the welding, panel fixes, grinding, primer and major fill/sand stuff. I think paint belongs before interior, but as you said, it can depend on how careful. It also depends on what is “possible” at a given time. I’ve done a lot of interior work on hard parts (dashes etc) and sound insulation when it was the only thing feasible to do, for instance when too cold to prime or paint…
Also very valid points. You work on what you can at the time. A bit off topic, but I'm hesitant of buying a lot of items at once and only purchase the items I'm going to use for the next step of the project. This way seems much less intimidating/discouraging and gives extra time to think about the follow-on purchases (maybe a better options comes along later). And worst case scenario, if you had to sell the project, you wont take a bath on selling it with all those expensive new parts not installed.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Also very valid points. You work on what you can at the time. A bit off topic, but I'm hesitant of buying a lot of items at once and only purchase the items I'm going to use for the next step of the project. This way seems much less intimidating/discouraging and gives extra time to think about the follow-on purchases (maybe a better options comes along later). And worst case scenario, if you had to sell the project, you wont take a bath on selling it with all those expensive new parts not installed.
My biggest challenge is buying small hard parts and then losing them multiple times before install. I probably have duplicates of 25 parts in my shop right now not counting nuts and bolts due to "hmmm, I think I still need that" then realizing I already bought it a year ago.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My biggest challenge is buying small hard parts and then losing them multiple times before install. I probably have duplicates of 25 parts in my shop right now not counting nuts and bolts due to "hmmm, I think I still need that" then realizing I already bought it a year ago.
That may be your reason for not buying parts ahead of time but it’s not a good reason.
Now, having an incorrect part that is difficult or unable to return much later is maybe a good reason. But I think that accounted for less than $100 worth of parts doing the blue truck. And it was actually the suppliers error.
Boxes, labeling, ziplock bags, and a sharpie. All very handy in not losing parts.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OP, regarding what to do first and in what order is a function of your available space/shop, how you use the truck and how far you’re tearing down the truck in the process.
The above things can affect how efficiently you get it done.
The most efficient way is First know exactly what you plan to do. And second, being able to stick to that plan.
Rework or work arounds cost time at a minimum and money often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128