Glove Box Latch 73-87 (91) Chevy GMC Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe it's that threaded collar is stripped??? Hard to diagnose what can't be seen. Maybe just spend the $20 and try a new one and see what happens. I'd imagine it'll work. There has to be something defective in your part if the knob just spins. So you're saying it just spins and it won't open the latch?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
want an OE nonlocking or at least idk where the key is, non AC glovebox? No AC so its bigger. its also brown.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
This is what my latch does. Maybe it's normal behavior. To me, when I shut the latch it should lock in place and rotate the knob to the locked position if necessary.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it's not relatching? It's not going to relatch until the knob goes back to it's home place. There's like a some kind of spring that brings the knob back home and it appears yours is not doing that. It looks like it latches fine when you turn it back manually.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's been awhile since I had one apart, so I'm not going to swear to nothing at this time. I know when I put this thread together it was fresh on my mind.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Ok cool. The knob definitely doesn't go back to it's home position.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, it looks like it might work just fine with exception you have to turn it back to home manually. It's supposed to be like a spring loaded latch as you turn the knob it releases to drop the door. Then the knob should return back to home on it's own so that when you push the door closed it latches on it's own. That's going to be my guess, there's a spring in there that's broken. Sad part is, you'd probably have to buy the whole kit ti fix it. ORRR if you current key fits it if it's a locking box, then see if you can get one from a wrecking yard and mix and match parts to where you can keep your same tumbler so the key still matches. I just replaced mine with one that don't lock.

There was also another reason for that other than not having a matching key for it. If I were to separate ammo from a gun and put the ammo in the glove box a cop may want to know why I didn't lock it up. Well if it doesn't have a lock, then it's quite obvious why and I don't have to be asked that.

Muddybuddy

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Is the glovebox and center console mechanism and locks the same? Want to swap to locking ones.

Rick465

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
No. the glove box and center console mechanism and locks the same, at least not on my '83 K5. The console lid is so much thicker than the glove box metal that the threads that hold the lock in place will not take. Ran across this thread looking to find a place that might have one to sell. No luck yet.
BTW the posting at the beginning of this thread is spot-freakin-on!

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
No. the glove box and center console mechanism and locks the same, at least not on my '83 K5. The console lid is so much thicker than the glove box metal that the threads that hold the lock in place will not take. Ran across this thread looking to find a place that might have one to sell. No luck yet.
BTW the posting at the beginning of this thread is spot-freakin-on!
IIRC square body trucks never had a factory locking glovebox. My Dad used the latch and knob from the 68-72 GM midsize cars, I believe....I know it was an earlier model than our square body trucks.

Tennessee bound

Reaction score
First Name
christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Been working on getting my truck back from the dead and this came up on the old girl. didn't take but a few seconds to find this post, Excellent!!! Back in the 80s and 90s I was a paint & body man, used to know these tricks inside and out. Fast forward 30+ years and, well may be I'm getting a bit forgetful.o_O Great post, It came flooding back!!!

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
IIRC square body trucks never had a factory locking glovebox. My Dad used the latch and knob from the 68-72 GM midsize cars, I believe....I know it was an earlier model than our square body trucks.
My 1981 C10 Custom Deluxe has a factory locking glove box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704