Glove Box Latch 73-87 (91) Chevy GMC Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I would also like to say thanks for posting this thread complete with pics...
My glovebox hinge has been broken for years and I just gave up using it.
In fact, it's been so long since it was opened last, a mouse had built a nest in there.
Didn't want the piano hinge repair, I wanted the OEM parts and look.
Looking online at all the parts sellers, nobody stocks the glovebox for A/C equipped models.
Some carry the non A/C but they are out of stock currently.
Just as well since my truck is an A/C model.
I went to a wrecking yard yesterday and got lucky to find an A/C model glovebox with a good hinge, bought it for 12 dollars.
Such a deal !!
The latch is all screwed up in the donor glovebox and flop wobbles all over the place, so I am going to use it as a practice victim with the procedures you described.
By the time I figure it out, I should be able to remove the good latch on my existing glovebox.
I do gotta ask, and feel free to slap me if this is a dumb question, but I didn't read anything about the tightening procedure for the latch (not that mine needs it, but I am curious) and, I assume everything just slides back together without needing to depress the pins again ?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
SWEET !!!!!!
I figured it out, it went back together real easily and my glovebox worketh again. Let's hope the mouse has been permanently evicted.
Having the glovebox out made fixing the kickpanel vent a lot easier, now if I could only figure out why there's no vacuum getting to it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool !!! Another fix !!!

I think the actual way to tighten one up is to back the threaded part out of the door a bit. It could be go into the door more. I forget now for sure. I think it's back it out in those rare occasions where one is loose. This is so when snap it all together, it's pulling tighter against the door, so to do that IIRC, you back the threads out a bit.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
:mexsmoke:I wonder who the guy was that came up with that latch design? and what he was on?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I don't know who designed it, but I'm fairly confident some darn good drugs were involved.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:mexsmoke:I wonder who the guy was that came up with that latch design? and what he was on?

I often wondered too. I figured it was some dude that got fired from Ford and was trying to be funny, then went to work for Dodge.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
ok, I am having a problem. my buddy bought a replacement lock mechanism his was broke, he said all he could find was one with a key. no biggy I know how to remove the tumbler/knob assembly. but how do you reinstall it properly. when I put it back together it will not auto lock when you close the door. you must manually turn it. I have had it apart and tried to reinstall a dozen times but can't get it to auto lock. I assume it has to do with the spring that's inside the housing in the back. does anybody have any ideas? my buddy is happy that he finally has a glove box but I would like to fix it right. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
no ideas on this one? highdesertranger

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ok, I am having a problem. my buddy bought a replacement lock mechanism his was broke, he said all he could find was one with a key. no biggy I know how to remove the tumbler/knob assembly. but how do you reinstall it properly. when I put it back together it will not auto lock when you close the door. you must manually turn it. I have had it apart and tried to reinstall a dozen times but can't get it to auto lock. I assume it has to do with the spring that's inside the housing in the back. does anybody have any ideas? my buddy is happy that he finally has a glove box but I would like to fix it right. highdesertranger

Sorry we missed this. I agree with you, it has to do with the spring, but I think there is another small plunger spring on the latch striker itself. I'd have to disect another mechanism to jog my memory. But, IIRC, there are at least 2 springs. One is like the one you're talking about, then the little plunger spring inside the lock. Only other thing I can think of, is maybe where the lock fits into the ring, it's to tight and the mechanism springs can't overcome the tight fit.
Is this a new or used latchset?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
it's a new latch. it's keyed and it's aftermarket. thanks. highdesertranger

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks @HotRodPC!

Just took mine apart so I could fix the hinge part... Probably go back with some piano hinge like I saw elsewhere on the site.

@highdesertrange The only thing I can see that would keep the lock from turning back on its own, is if you didn't put the tumbler back in quite right or if the spring at the back of the cylinder was broken/installed incorrectly.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
thanks for the reply. the spring looks ok compared to the one in my truck. I am thinking along the lines, maybe it's to tight in the housing. after all it's probably made in china. this one has me stumped. highdesertranger

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You might be right hd. It might also be the threaded ring can be put tighger into the door, so the locking mechanism isn't pulling to hard where it latches and free up the tumbler a bit. Maybe the housing is just to tight. But of course if it's China made, you know the specs will be off to some degree. Just don't hold that against that 6-10 year olds putting them together. Hold it against their gubment who allows kid sweat shop labor.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I hear you there hot rod. it's not just children it's political prisoners, forced labor, ripping off other's designs, copyright infringement. I try not to buy their junk. for some things it's very hard. I will not even go into a harbor freight. but every one else like home depot, lowes, wally world, sears, target, etc, etc is full of their junk to. it never ends. we are selling out our way of life by buying this junk. highdesertranger

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right. So it depends on how you look at it, as to how you shop now days. As you said, Wally World, Sears and HD as well as everyone else is using China stuff and most are even getting US prices for China quality, so I do indeed go to HF. If I'm buying China ****, I'm only going to pay China prices for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k