Getting the TBI running again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm really starting to get pissed off at this engine.

1988 TBI 350 in a 1 ton with the AIR pump removed and long gone.
This truck used to run and sat for a long time, the injectors died and the throttle body was filthy on the inside.

I cleaned and rebuilt the TB with new injectors. I also had to hook up the ignition module in the distributor and the ignition coil as well, I have not been able to bolt it down because the bolts are missing.

There are a handful of other wires that seemingly go nowhere which have weatherpack connectors on them.

This was my grandfather's truck and I know he wanted to "get rid of that computer **** and put a carburetor and HEI on it"

I need help.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Post pictures of the connectors and where they are and we should be able to figure it out.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks, I'll get some pics of it tomorrow before I go into work, a link to the thread is in my signature and there are pics of the engine in there.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I swear I posted these yesterday! I was starting to get pissed that I wasn't getting any help.

Here they are:

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IIRC, that first one with two prongs was for the smog stuff. The one down under the throttle bracket is for the oil sending unit. Then the single weatherpack connector is probably for the O2 sensor, and the single oily plug is probably for the other oil sender (for gauge). I think the one with the large blue wire is something HVAC related? It would help if I was near my truck.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks, my oil pressure gauge acts really funny while cranking, it starts at 60 PSI and turns RIGHT. I think my horn is disconnected and I do have a brand new O2 sensor in the cab if that's for the O2.

Now, Where is the oil pressure sender on the back of there? I'm just wondering if I should take the front sheet metal off just to make it easier to get at that. Putting in the distributor module was a huge pain in the ass with the hood on, I can't just sit on the inner fender and do stuff because I'm too much of a fat ass and too tall.

It cranks really well, just no fuel coming from the injectors so I need to check the fuses. with the way the old injectors seized I would not be surprised if the fuses blew under the dash, another thing that's a pain in my ass.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If that wire is purple then it's for the O2. You may want to remove the hood, cause one oil sender is next to the dizzy and the other is on the side of the block, near the oil filter area. Does the fuel system prime when you turn on the key? The oil sender with the bigger connector is tied into the fuel pump circuit, but it might not matter if it's plugged in as long as the fuel pump relay is good. I dunno for certain, GM tended to wire them differently through the years.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
The fuel system primes, if its down by the oil filter would it be better to just get at it from the bottom? I'm wondering if since the ignition coil is not bolted into place if that's causing any issues. What size bolts does that take? Mine have disappeared.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The injectors should still fire even if the coil was bad. I think it's held down with 5/16 threaded bolts, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. The oil sender is a few inches above the oil filter pad. Getting to it from top or bottom is doable, just personal preference. The one by the dizzy would be MUCH simpler if you have a helper around to get the hood out of the way.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is the signal wire for the AC clutch:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This one, to me, looks like the wire that get's unplugged when setting the base ignition timing. Is that wire brown?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks guys, I don't think I'll get a chance to get on this til at least Monday afternoon or Wednesday at the earliest just because I'll be busy with work and other stuff.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks guys, I don't think I'll get a chance to get on this til at least Monday afternoon or Wednesday at the earliest just because I'll be busy with work and other stuff.

I just found out I'm going home for a day or two, so tomorrow I'll get to look at my 88's harness and where things are routed. Between that and those diagrams 89S posted, you should be able to have it all figured out soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner