Getting RPO codes for my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackdog

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
I have an 83 K2500 that I've had for a few years now and am wanting to find out the original options. The tag in the glove box is worn away from 30+ yrs of use and I just tried my local dealer and they weren't able to come up with anything since they've started to recycle digits in the VINs. Does anyone have a way to decode the VIN or know where it could be done?

Durwoods85

Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have the same problem, not trying to hijack your thread but will be watching it for any info. I have an '85 GMC that I've had for several years as a wood hauler/beater. My SPID label is unreadable also and I would love to find out the details, getting ready to restore the truck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is the VIN decoder for both of y'all's trucks. I think I understood y'all right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,352

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Given what years your trucks are (assuming that they're both 4x4s), they probably run NP208 transfer cases. There's usually a sticker on the side of the case that tells you what you have, though. Hope this helps!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
VIN != RPO Code

If the code is not in the glovebox or the inner fender then either its missing or parts were swapped. You can try GMC Heritage if you want the codes but this is not guaranteed.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I have an 83 K2500 that I've had for a few years now and am wanting to find out the original options. The tag in the glove box is worn away from 30+ yrs of use and I just tried my local dealer and they weren't able to come up with anything since they've started to recycle digits in the VINs. Does anyone have a way to decode the VIN or know where it could be done?

You can send your VIN (and $50) to the GM Heritage Center archive and they will send you the original invoice for your specific truck, including RPO content and pricing.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

The document will look like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Using that information you can have a new SPID label made, if you like. http://outintheshop.com/

K

Last edited:

blackdog

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Thank you for your help guys. That is what I'm looking for Keith. I had found them and wasn't sure on what would be included for our trucks. I may just send out for the info on my truck, because this is one I intend to keep.

Durwoods85

Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I guess it's a moot point for mine now, closer inspection on my frame tonight while starting disassembly revealed major rust damage on the frame. It's so bad I can't see putting any money into this.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I guess it's a moot point for mine now, closer inspection on my frame tonight while starting disassembly revealed major rust damage on the frame. It's so bad I can't see putting any money into this.

Maybe you could try finding a frame or a part out truck for cheap and just pick it clean.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

If your always going to look at it from a financial stand point, your in the wrong hobby. That aside if you decide you love the truck to much to part/scrap it you may have a few options. If you have a welder and are confident in your ability you can repair it and even box the frame if its not already done. The other option is like 1987 said and find another frame for the truck.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Compnine has some of these trucks in their database. It's $9 or something like that.
You can feed your VIN to the page to see if they have it before you spend $ on the whole deal.
http://www.compnine.com

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Compnine has some of these trucks in their database. It's $9 or something like that.
You can feed your VIN to the page to see if they have it before you spend $ on the whole deal.
http://www.compnine.com

Just tried mine and it wasn't in their system.

K

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Some of them aren't. Stand up guys though. They let you know before you pay them.

5th

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
They had mine....

...was like getting a run down of a girlfriends dating history...

Some things are better left unknown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc