Getting ready to install dual Skyjacker front shock kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Has anyone installed dual front shocks? I have a 75 GMC that has a 6" lift and has been converted to 3/4 ton axles. I'm for sure going to have to weld shock mounts on my Dana 44 because the previous owner cut the old ones off. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to move my break lines to drill holes for the new upper bracket. I've looked on line for shock mounts for my axle but there are so many different ones that I'm not sure what to get? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh yeah, I've also looked @ 4WHEELER.com but the left out the part about drilling the upper brackets because there drill bit broke!

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
My personal opinion is that two good shocks can do the work of four.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
My personal opinion is that two good shocks can do the work of four.

I agree; I recently talked to off road design on the phone and he was telling me how shock technology as changed so much, two shocks nowadays are better now four shocks from years back

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Look for any diesel 4x4 at the wreckers. All diesel 4x4s have dual shocks up front. One is molded into the frame the second is a bracket riveted to the frame. Take the shock off and with a cold chisel and small sledge( one hand sledge ) wack the heads off the rivets and then with a punch, punch out the rivets. I think there is only two rivets. Then drill two holes on your frame and bolt them on.

If you can, grab the custom bolt that holds both shocks onto the axle. If not a grade 8 bolt with some large washers will do the trick or you can probably find the correct one at a GM dealership or something.

That by far is the cheapest way. and will look like factory

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Look for any diesel 4x4 at the wreckers. All diesel 4x4s have dual shocks up front. One is molded into the frame the second is a bracket riveted to the frame. Take the shock off and with a cold chisel and small sledge( one hand sledge ) wack the heads off the rivets and then with a punch, punch out the rivets. I think there is only two rivets. Then drill two holes on your frame and bolt them on.

If you can, grab the custom bolt that holds both shocks onto the axle. If not a grade 8 bolt with some large washers will do the trick or you can probably find the correct one at a GM dealership or something.

this is very true. it was an option on any truck, ive seen a lot of k5 blazers with dual shocks

if that's the route you want to go

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I may end up going with a single on each side, I will still have to weld the lower shock mounts to my axle so any pictures of a shock mount on an axle would be helpful. I've looked up images of shock mounts but there seems to be quite a few different ones out there. I'm not too sure what came factory on a Dana 44 but mine were cut off..... I'm still new to square body and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I may end up going with a single on each side, I will still have to weld the lower shock mounts to my axle so any pictures of a shock mount on an axle would be helpful. I've looked up images of shock mounts but there seems to be quite a few different ones out there. I'm not too sure what came factory on a Dana 44 but mine were cut off..... I'm still new to square body and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

With the factory dual shocks the mounting bracket on the axle is the same for both single and dual setups.

But for Dual shocks the rear shorter shock sits in the mount and the longer forward one is off set to the inside with clearance from the other shock with a special bolt.

What I did was put one shock on either side of the mount and then used washers to place in the mount itself so I could tighten it down with out squeezing the mount closed with a long grade 8 bolt.

Ill get a picture tomorrow for you.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had dual shocks on my '86 blazer a long time ago. I put on Rancho 5000 shocks and those made the front ride way too rough.

2 shocks per side might be needed on a diesel truck due to the massive weight on the engine above them. If you don't have a diesel, huge front cattle catcher bumper or winch it would be unnecessary.

OffRoad Design has replacement shock axle tube mounts:
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/bushingassemblies.htm

If you need upper shock mounts also quite a few have used F*rd shock mounts and then bolt them in to the frame. These allow you to run longer shocks vs the stock location. They have them also, but you can buy them anywhere.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shocks.htm

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I do plan on running a winch style bumper sooner or later. I believe that is what the PO had in mind also because he shaved off the original shock mounts from the axle and welded some to the top of the axle.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx