Getting quotes for paint/body work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
They are just "old pick-up trucks", not show cars. They need a protective coat of uniform color paint. Do the prep yourself, buy the single stage paint and supplies yourself, and find somebody to spray it for you for $1000 or so. Let them know that you dont expect perfection, and that you will accept the job that they do, with some flaws. You should be able to do it for around $2000. Then you can still use it as a truck, and not worry about scratching it a little.

82BBC20

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
Quality paint materials are expensive, you can expect $2k just for materials especially if you’re doing jambs also. I tell customers all the time that a full repaint will normally start out @ $10k depending on how much body work it needs.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
It's very highly dependent upon what your expectations are, what level of excellence do you want for your paint job, is it metallic paint or solid color, and more. Also highly dependent upon the type of paint shop you're going to.
Obviously a custom show car oriented shop is going to be more expensive than your average run of the mill crash and dent repair shop.
And it depends upon what you're going to use it for.
For example you said you're going to use it in the woods and it's going to get scratched up anyway.
As compared to someone who wants utter perfection from a show car.
We have a very high quality custom show car shop here in Tucson which is one of the few I would consider entrusting a prized vehicle too.
The last time I spoke to them it's basically $10,000 for what they would consider to be a factory original quality paint job.
That means it's not perfect. But it's going to be damn good by their standards.
Perfection, show quality, $15K.
And those prices are dated I, wouldn't be surprised if they've both increased by $5K now since I spoke to them.
Now if you're just trying to get consistent color on the vehicle, you're talking like what we used to call an "Earl Scheib" quality paint job, it can be significantly less.
But I don't know how much.
They may not even wash the vehicle before they paint it.
As others have stated just the cost of the materials, the paint and the abrasives and supplies, etc. is through the roof.
Also if you have any body or mechanical skills yourself you can save money by removing all of the exterior trim and bumpers etc.
And if you can do some of the body work or sanding or paint removal yourself that's going to lower the cost.
Well that's my two cents worth.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I am waiting for an insurance claim on my K20, couple dents, been a month and a half, still waiting. Went to a few shops, most won't work on my truck, but the shop I want, (boss truck is in there now, mid 70's truck,) will do the work. Around a $1000. just for the door, no new rubber etc. $2000. for the dent in the bed, nothing else. I am 70 years and feel like I am running out of time, so will finish up the rest this winter, and will make a cheap spray booth, and borrow a good gun from a painter buddy. A few childhood friends are retired body shop owners, so that helps.

Vettenut

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Oh, for the good old days!!

To be serious, seek out a painter that works at one of the independent shops in your area. They may be willing to spray your vehicle for you on the side, for maybe $1K if you tape it up and provide all the supplies, (paint is not cheap in today's market either, so be prepared)

Attachments

• Earl Scheib.jpg
    Earl Scheib.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 44

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Oh, for the good old days!!

To be serious, seek out a painter that works at one of the independent shops in your area. They may be willing to spray your vehicle for you on the side, for maybe $1K if you tape it up and provide all the supplies, (paint is not cheap in today's market either, so be prepared)
Great pic!

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
This is why my two squares are original patina trucks. The cost of good bodywork and paint would put them upside down in value. All rust repaired and blended in with spray bombs. No fake patina. A little southwest sunburn goes a long way. There are many low cost paint videos on youtube , just depends on the level of the build.

Rod Hogan

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I went to several shops and got turned down for the very reasons cited above. One of the guys told me to take all the chrome/etc. off, go to small independent body shop and just have them work the specific areas that need fixed, prime with 4k primer, and prep the whole thing for paint. Then take to MAACO because they shoot a ton of cars every day and do a decent job but their prep is really bad. That worked for me but I still ended up at about $3K (in 2015) with just a single stage urethane paint and maybe a 10 footer. Looks good enough to get me in a Good Guys show, haul some hay, and have some fun.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just shooting this out there to get some ideas on what to expect when talking to the body shop. Getting my K25 ready for paint and minor body work for a shop to spray it. I replaced the passenger bedside, door and hood.

My question is how much should I be expecting to pay for a full repaint as well as some minor body filler on the remaining original body panels? I’m looking to have the jambs painted as well to help mask the color change.

I’m in Prescott,AZ. If any locals know of a reputable shop to help me out thy would be awesome.

,Morgan

I have a guy that I am trying out now in Phoenix. He is painting my '90 for a reasonable price. He works out of his house and rents a booth for the spray. PM me and in about a week or so, he should be done and you can come look at my truck and decide. My '90 is a driver and I wanted something decent but not show quality.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Cost of materials!!! I just forked out $75.00 for a gallon of high gloss black rustoleum to freshen up a 2 axle trailer. Glad I am donw with my paint work.
Eric

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Summit has decent priced single stage paint. Find an old fender, or yours if it isn't on the road, pull one and teach yourself how to paint.

For the $500 I paid (I expected cheap), I should have done it myself because of the runs and trash in it. But then again, at that price, for a hunting truck...I did get my moneys worth. For $500 in materials, I could have done better.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I have 2 quotes for my c20. 1st is single stage 2k truck paint 25-28k $. 2nd is water based metallic high quality (not show quality)~50k $. That's only paint. I would have to bring the parts bare metal to the shop. These are the only quotes I got, all other shops refuse to work on old cars. Consider yourself lucky that you have shops that are willing to work on our old stuff. Shops in Austria only want to work insurance claims on new cars.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
I have 2 quotes for my c20. 1st is single stage 2k truck paint 25-28k $. 2nd is water based metallic high quality (not show quality)~50k $. That's only paint. I would have to bring the parts bare metal to the shop. These are the only quotes I got, all other shops refuse to work on old cars. Consider yourself lucky that you have shops that are willing to work on our old stuff. Shops in Austria only want to work insurance claims on new cars.
OMG!!!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Had the c10 done 3 years ago. Minimal body work but was still $7,500 (or about). It needed to look good.
My wife wanted the $600 Hyundai to be all one color. Didn't have to be great, just one color. No bodywork was done, just taped, sanded and sprayed by Maaco - they were having a sale - $1,000.
Could they have taken another hour to do a better job taping things off? Yes. Could they have made sure to remove all the tape? Yes. But for $1000 I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10. They did not do door/hood/trunk jambs.
Time will tell but it does have a 4 year warranty.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I got a 24K quote from a shop That I stopped by while I was moving my cab that I had completely stripped with a sand blaster. I had just retired and decided I can learn to paint for that much. I have spent approx. $2500 on consumables, primer, base color and clear paint. If you have a good compressor, and time you can do it yourself. I'm not done and my paint job is not perfect by no means. But I am happy with it and won't be afraid to go 4 wheeling in it when I'm done because now I know I can fix it myself.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Still have a lot to do , and the price of supplies will probably end up about in the 5k range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag