Get That Snappy Fire Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Im personally feeling the choke is not correct. I run and eddy 1406 and had the same issues till i adjusted the choke.

Have been wondering if or how much altitude has to do with this? If I recall right, the lower the atmosphoric pressure the lower the boiling point right? Being at 4200 feet, putting a little 3/8 inch thick phenolic spacer took out 90% of the problem, Yet where you are the problem doesn't exisit, with proper carb settings. I've no idea the altitude of the OP but being in Montana sure could be alot higher than Penn. Dunno?? Just fighting my own ignorance????

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Gents, just an update, i installed an inline fuel pressure regulator, a cheapo i got from o'reilly's i think it's a mr. gasket brand not sure... set to about 4.5-5psi. i also noticed that i have a carb spacer but it is an aluminum one, which i don't think will help with the heat much. Reset the fuel idle mixture and idle speed to the best i could without a tach (just a vac gauge, looking for highest vacuum). And finally, reset the choke to the center mark it was set rich so i thought leaning it out might help a little (engine wasn't cold so i couldn't adjust properly). hoping for some improvement today.. we will see. if none of my changes affect the start up performance i will get a phenolic spacer as reading the reviews also suggest that it will help with my issue.

probably will end up checking actual fuel PSI to make sure the mr. gasket is actually reducing the pressure as it should.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Gents, just an update, i installed an inline fuel pressure regulator, a cheapo i got from o'reilly's i think it's a mr. gasket brand not sure... set to about 4.5-5psi. i also noticed that i have a carb spacer but it is an aluminum one, which i don't think will help with the heat much. Reset the fuel idle mixture and idle speed to the best i could without a tach (just a vac gauge, looking for highest vacuum). And finally, reset the choke to the center mark it was set rich so i thought leaning it out might help a little (engine wasn't cold so i couldn't adjust properly). hoping for some improvement today.. we will see. if none of my changes affect the start up performance i will get a phenolic spacer as reading the reviews also suggest that it will help with my issue.

probably will end up checking actual fuel PSI to make sure the mr. gasket is actually reducing the pressure as it should.

Preciate the update. Please let us know what gets it.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wanderingthru, i've also considered this and might adjust my jets... it seems to burn rich (has that classic unburnt fuel smell, or could be the littlbe bit of oil i'm burning lol) leading me to suspect someone installed this carb and increased jet sizes thinking they would get more hp lol.. here in billings the altitude is ~3400ft

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Wanderingthru, i've also considered this and might adjust my jets... it seems to burn rich (has that classic unburnt fuel smell, or could be the littlbe bit of oil i'm burning lol) leading me to suspect someone installed this carb and increased jet sizes thinking they would get more hp lol.. here in billings the altitude is ~3400ft

Mine was the same way, came from a much lower altitude, so was very rich. Had to set mine to the leanest setting of elderbrocks tuning chart with the rods and seats that come with the kit. That fixed the rich problem, but did nothing for the hot start problem. My spacer is only 3/8 thick because it was the only one I could find, and pretty well solved the prob, still have to open the throttle a bit for it to pop, but when it does it is running near perfect, not that acting like it's flooded and needs cleaned out deal.Would like a 1 inch spacer.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just went ahead and bought a phenolic spacer off amazon, will be here next week. i will keep posting updates as i tinker in the mean time. thanks again for everyone's help! really appreciated it and feel like the space or combination of the ladder should do the trick!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Have been wondering if or how much altitude has to do with this? If I recall right, the lower the atmosphoric pressure the lower the boiling point right? Being at 4200 feet, putting a little 3/8 inch thick phenolic spacer took out 90% of the problem, Yet where you are the problem doesn't exisit, with proper carb settings. I've no idea the altitude of the OP but being in Montana sure could be alot higher than Penn. Dunno?? Just fighting my own ignorance????
Very true, after some googling i find my towns altitude is only 520'. Who knew?!:shrug:

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9

If you have an aluminum carb spacer check the intake manifold numbers. Is it an Edelbrock intake? If it is the numbers are probably behind the carb on the #6 runner. I'm guessing it's an adapter to go from a spreadbore carb to a squarebore intake.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd say make sure your fuel pressure is in the right range and then make sure your idle mixture and idle speed are properly set. I found that resetting mine correctly and raising the idle really helped with starting while warm.

Mine was the same way, came from a much lower altitude, so was very rich. Had to set mine to the leanest setting of elderbrocks tuning chart with the rods and seats that come with the kit. That fixed the rich problem, but did nothing for the hot start problem. My spacer is only 3/8 thick because it was the only one I could find, and pretty well solved the prob, still have to open the throttle a bit for it to pop, but when it does it is running near perfect, not that acting like it's flooded and needs cleaned out deal.Would like a 1 inch spacer.

If you have an aluminum carb spacer check the intake manifold numbers. Is it an Edelbrock intake? If it is the numbers are probably behind the carb on the #6 runner. I'm guessing it's an adapter to go from a spreadbore carb to a squarebore intake.

its a stock intake manifold, so yeah i guess it would be square bore to stock quadrajet spread bore... didn't even think of that lol i'll have too look around and see if i can find a edelbrock performer in square bore. they're a dime a dozen used around here!

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
okay guys a little update, no change so far. drove home for lunch fired right up cold from work when i left my house same thing; throttle 1/4-1/2ish popped off once and died, 2nd time same thing, 3rd time start up was slow and sluggish had to give it a couple of pumps to come up to a smooth idle.

i did find a eddy performer that i am going to pickup today or tomorrow so i can lose the adapter plate and hopefully the phenolic spacer does the trick.

i'll update once i have the new parts!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
okay guys a little update, no change so far. drove home for lunch fired right up cold from work when i left my house same thing; throttle 1/4-1/2ish popped off once and died, 2nd time same thing, 3rd time start up was slow and sluggish had to give it a couple of pumps to come up to a smooth idle.

i did find a eddy performer that i am going to pickup today or tomorrow so i can lose the adapter plate and hopefully the phenolic spacer does the trick.

i'll update once i have the new parts!

Just for reference, I have a stock quadrajet with a hot air choke and am at about 200ft. I give it one pump to the floor and slowly let off to set the choke when cold. It will usually crank a few times and then fire right up. When warm I either just crank a second and it catches or if it doesn't fire right up I sometimes have to give it about 1/8 throttle for a few cranks until it catches... no pumps when warm.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
i was going through the same thing you are i put on a 1/2 inch wood spacer from edelbrock and it solved the problem 100 per cent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narr