Get That Snappy Fire Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Gents,

i have i an 82 gmc 1500 350 w/ edelbrock 1406 that i have recently put heavier metering spring in and larger rods. this smoothed out the stumble my pickup had when you punched the throttle but, it did not solve my starting issue. When the engine is cold, i can set the choke/high idle and it pops right off. but when i go to restart it when warm i have to hold the gas about 1/4-1/2 and i still get a very sluggish start.. even worse after driven any amount; 10-15 miles on the interstate/frontage roads.

is this a timing issue? i set the timing to factory spec ~8-10* btdc (i think) a while back, don't remember is this helped or made this issue worse. Vacuum advance? further Carb tuning? float adjustment? (losing fuel) or just the way it is? i've driven several older vehicle and you have to go through to same song and dance (choke, pump the gas peddle, hold it down etc.) but i don't remember any of them being this bad...

just looking for that quick snappy pop off or something close.

let me know if i can provide further info!

thanks!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
It is electric choke, correct?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
It's a fuel problem. Meaning today's fuel sucks!! Boils at 120 degrees so sitting atop a 180 ish degree engine. Put a "plastic" cant remember the real name spacer between the carb and intake. Will help alot prob not eliminate the prob completely. Fenolic that's what its called.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so i am losing fuel?? just not in the way i anticipated it's boiling off in the bowls. i thought it might be draining back to the tank somehow.
make sense too because if fire it up right after i shut it off it fires on the first turnover.

Thanks! i will give that a shot!

i think i am going to advance the timing a bit too; ~16*btdc. i read that that high hp cars are often set advanced or vacuum advance welded so that all the timing is in right when you start the engine. cant hurt and if it doesn't help i'll just set it back to factory lol

any other suggestions or anything that could help compensate the quality of todays fuel?

Last edited:

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
so i am losing fuel?? just not in the way i anticipated it's boiling off in the bowls. i thought it might be draining back to the tank somehow.
make sense too because if fire it up right after i shut it off it fires on the first turnover.

Thanks! i will give that a shot!

i think i am going to advance the timing a bit too; ~16*btdc. i read that that high hp cars are often set advanced or vacuum advance welded so that all the timing is in right when you start the engine. cant hurt and if it doesn't help i'll just set it back to factory lol

any other suggestions or anything that could help compensate the quality of today fuel?

Yes and no... the good is boiling out so yes, then your left burning the **** the government has us buying. Cant help much with the rest. This prob does seem more prevalent with "hopped up" engines, and maybe elderbrock carbs. I like one to fire right up as well.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks guys! i will set the choke too. i have never touched it.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With Edelbrocks dont overlook a fuel pressure regulator. They are highly recommended by Edelbrock for all of their carbs. I believe they say 6.5 psi is max.

I know it helped alot on mine.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Im personally feeling the choke is not correct. I run and eddy 1406 and had the same issues till i adjusted the choke.

Not disagreeing but the choke on mine is wired open and the same problem???

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am not sure what my stock mech fuel pump puts out, i'll have to put a gauge on it

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Understand the same about a fuel pressure regulator, haven't got to try it yet... do have a brand new gauge.... somewhere???

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'd say make sure your fuel pressure is in the right range and then make sure your idle mixture and idle speed are properly set. I found that resetting mine correctly and raising the idle really helped with starting while warm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes