Gauge Cluster Teardown and Rebuild - Beware, Pic Heavy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Tach cluster is finally in and working! Here are some highlights.

Pic #1 - First I hooked up the tach to verify it works. I had no reason to believe it didn't after sending it off to be fixed. Confirmed the rpm's with my SunPro.

Pic #2 - Pulled the dash and the three different bezels to get access to the gas gauge. Had to make sure the old small one I have works. That would suck if it didn't... Good thing it does!

Pic #3 - Pulled the original cluster out. Note: It is very easy to break off the mounting tab on the left side of the housing! Do the squarebody community a service and try to avoid breaking it!

Pic #4 - Transferred the original speedo, voltmeter and coolant temp to the tach housing, along with the small gas gauge and the rebuilt tach. I had previously painted the housing gloss white.

Pic #5 - Just a pic with the black inner bezel installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20160515_123758595.jpg
    IMG_20160515_123758595.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20160515_113453898.jpg
    IMG_20160515_113453898.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_20160515_142055241.jpg
    IMG_20160515_142055241.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_20160515_142146800.jpg
    IMG_20160515_142146800.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_20160515_142301000.jpg
    IMG_20160515_142301000.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 561

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some of my personal thoughts on this whole swap.

If I had to do it over again, I would be open to buying a nice one in good working condition for a couple hundred bucks. This took me a while to actually do, but I was not in any hurry. I could have easily completed it a couple of years ago. I don't know exactly how much $$ I have into it. $25 for the old tach cluster. $55 to get the actual tach fixed. $60 for the correct printed circuit. $30 for the tach wiring harness. Spray paint and new bulbs was probably another $20. Right there is $190! It wasn't "cheap", especially if someone is doing it all at once. Your time is worth something, and I easily spent several hours on the road driving to get stuff.

After studying the electrical schematics for the 1979 trucks, which is like Greek to me, and comparing it to the physical parts I had in front of me, it looked like there was no re-pinning of the cluster plug needed. That's weird, everyone says re-pinning will be necessary. So I took a chance and installed the thing. HAHA!! Everything worked! NO RE-PINNING NEEDED! I will say this with a disclaimer, I will say it is only true for a 1979 truck with a V8 and going from gauges with no tach to gauges with tach. If you are going from idiot gauges to gauges, then yes, re-pinning is necessary, schematics showed that.

So there you go. I can rest easy now that this is DONE! :cheers:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you saved $10 and shipping, maybe $30. BUT, you also got a nicely refurrbed cluster now that is known to work, with a new printed circuit and rebuilt tach so you shouldn't have any problems. You might have gotten one that was wore out and lasted 3 days or been in accurate. I think you did fine.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So you saved $10 and shipping, maybe $30. BUT, you also got a nicely refurrbed cluster now that is known to work, with a new printed circuit and rebuilt tach so you shouldn't have any problems. You might have gotten one that was wore out and lasted 3 days or been in accurate. I think you did fine.

You are absolutely right. And I am in no way complaining about the price. For me it was totally worth it. Thank you for putting into words what my brain didn't think of right away.

The best part of this whole was my dad's reaction. For those that don't know, he bought the truck new, and did some upgrades himself over the years. Just stuff like smaller mirror arms, painted the top green from the original white, and put an FM/AM radio in place of the AM. Anyway, I had it at his house the other day and we were out talking by it. So I told him to look inside the truck and see if he can tell what I did to it. He went nuts over it!! I have never seen him gush so genuinely over something automotive! He said it was the coolest things that ever happened to the truck! He likes those upgrades... may not have come on the truck, but it was available at the time. That made it all worth it!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
A lot of good information about cluster refurbishing. Very useful.

I also replaced the cluster in my '75 with a tach cluster from a '74 sub, which is a direct replacement. The tach works, but is a little flaky sometimes in colder weather.

I did quite a bit of research about this vintage of GM tachs and I found most of my info on Corvette forums. They use a similarly designed tach, but the actual circuit board is shaped differently so you can't use a replacement Corvette board to repair a truck tach.

Bruce

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Just to clarify there are a total of 11 bulbs and they are 168, not 194? I got my gauge cluster working this weekend but the backlighting is terrible. I don't want to spend a ton of money on bulbs, especially if it may be the circuit board.

Anyone know a site you can buy 168s in bulk?

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
looks like most of your bulbs aren't coming on at all. I'd recommend making sure the contact surfaces on both the bulb holder and printed circuit are super clean and making solid contact. You probably need to bend the tabs on the bulb holders to make sure they make solid contact. I also like to put a dab of DC4 on all the surfaces before assembly to prevent corrosion. Also make sure the contacts on the connector from the cluster to the harness and harness to the ground connections on the parking brake pedal are clean and coated as well. That will make a huge difference in how bright they are.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I am doing the same thing. I want to try and keep mine as stock as possible. I have switched up the incadescent to LEDs. I foimd out the new LED sockets I bought from Super Bright will not click in on the guage cluster so hoping the old ones, after cleaning, will work. Need to take care of some under dash/behind cluster rust abatement/treatment before putting all back.

1979k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^ I used the leds from superbright. Worked great, a little tight to click in but not forced.

Felipe Acosta

Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
307 5.0L
I am going through the same process. I have ordered the circuit ribbon that goes on the back. Hoping all the gauges work. Thanks for all the info. very helpful the pictures make a huge difference.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Great thread with lots of information I needed since my speedometer needle broke into several pieces and in the process of cleaning up my cluster. Not sure if it’ll work for everyone but I buffed the gauge areas on the clear panel with flitz and it cleared those areas up big time for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54