Gas Tank Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LL Cool Mike 76

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Sierra
Engine Size
76 GMC Sierra, do i need to remove the bed to drop the gas tanks?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
No. There are two brackets holding each tank. The brackets have four bolts each through the frame. There’s a wire for your sender and two to three rubber lines connected to the sender.

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
My '91 square has a shielding plate under the tank that is 4 x bolted to the frame. The straps that hold the tank are only bolted at the the rear and have hooks on the front.
If you have a tow bar (sorry don't know the english word), you'll have to remove that first.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
On a 76 no, if your scared it’s easy, I swapped in dual tanks without removing the bed, your back will just hate you for a week

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I used 2 wheeled floor jacks. Raise the jacks until they are just touching each tank bracket. Remove the filler hose and vent line from the tank. Remove each set of four bolts from each bracket. Slowly lower the tank until you can access the sending unit. Unplug the 2 wires and one to three hoses depending how many outlets your sender has. Sometimes there is a ground wire from tank to frame. I did not have this wire. I just had a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame. Slowly let the tank down with the floor jacks. A smart person would empty the fuel tank before doing this but I dropped my tank when it was 3/4 full and had no problems. My truck did not have skid plates but from the parts manual You may or may not have to remove some of them to remove the tank. On a side note, my truck is lowered so the floor jacks worked well. If you have a crazy lift kit then find someway to support the tank and lower it slowly. Or just pull a He-man maneuver and lay under the tank to become a human floor jack.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow! I'm impressed with you guys. I removed my bed because I had other projects to do, and wanted to have top access. But I don't see how in the world I could have dropped the tank enough to remove the fuel hose clamps and sender wire, much less reinstall them. Being a dumba$$, I had 7-8 gallons of gas left, so pumped most of it out before dropping the tank.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
As I was replacing all of my fuel lines, I had them disconnected on the other end so the tank could be lowered enough to disconnect at the sender. Most of the lines on my truck were leftovers and not correct for this year so disconnecting everything definitely allowed me the room. Factory installation would be too short to lower prior to disconnecting a line closer to the selector valve. My favorite yet more expensive removal technique is cordless hackzall. It will remove lines, wiring, frame rail, arm, etc. very rapidly but then you are purchasing new.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Just replaced mine with single Bullet Type inside box.
Easy to drop when using floorjacks and patience and a BIG hammer!!!

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i'm with MikeB, i don't know how you can do it correctly without removing the bed.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I REMOVED MY BED BECAUSE I WANTED TO THE JOB RIGHT AND MAKE THE FUEL LINES THE CORRECT LENGTH AS THE ORIGINALS.....ITS VERY HARD TO DO WITHOUT BED OFF....ITS ONLY 6 BOLTS TO REMOVE THE BED.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I used 2 wheeled floor jacks. Raise the jacks until they are just touching each tank bracket. Remove the filler hose and vent line from the tank. Remove each set of four bolts from each bracket. Slowly lower the tank until you can access the sending unit. Unplug the 2 wires and one to three hoses depending how many outlets your sender has. Sometimes there is a ground wire from tank to frame. I did not have this wire. I just had a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame. Slowly let the tank down with the floor jacks. A smart person would empty the fuel tank before doing this but I dropped my tank when it was 3/4 full and had no problems. My truck did not have skid plates but from the parts manual You may or may not have to remove some of them to remove the tank. On a side note, my truck is lowered so the floor jacks worked well. If you have a crazy lift kit then find someway to support the tank and lower it slowly. Or just pull a He-man maneuver and lay under the tank to become a human floor jack.

Ditto. If you don't have a floor jack, get one. Harbor Freight has them cheap.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62160.html

You must be registered for see images attach

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Both on my 76 (dual tanks) and on my 79 (single tank) I have dropped all of the tanks, on the 76 the bed was on, the 79 it was off. Both trucks I disconnected the fuel lines from the hardline running on the frame rail, take the ground wire off and the guide for the hoses, take the 8 bolts out and set the tank down, disconnect the sender line and done. Taking the bed off really doesn't give an advantage IMO since half of the tank is under the cab and the bolts are inside the frame and not on top of it. Also taking the bed off on most trucks with some rust means cutting the bolts, buying new bolts, messing with the tail light harness, devising a way to lift the bed, somewhere to put it, putting it back on. Reminds me of a story where a guy pulled the transmission from his car to be rebuilt and brings it into the shop with the crankshaft still attached to the flexplate/torque converter. No reason to do more work than needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns