Fuse keeps blowing causing no lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddie_H

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
My son recently bought a '73 K-20 and we've been working with it & getting to know it's personality. I had a '72 K-20 years ago & so it's been a long long time since I've messed with good old trucks.
That said, he lost all lights a few weeks ago except for the headlights. Everything went including the brake lights, running/parking lights, instrument panel.
He replaced all the fuses since most were fogged & old & that fixed the lights. However the exact same thing happened again a few days later. He replaced a blown fuse(I don't know which one though) & it instantly blew again.
It's cold & snowy & I'm looking for ideas to help short cut to a fix.
Any one have ideas about where to look first? The part that gets me is the brake lights being affected. The BL fuse isn't blowing, but yet the brake lights are out.
Thanks for any in-put to help minimize frosty toes & frosted fingers!
BH

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yikes! That's a tough one to diagnose. Something must be shorting out somewhere. I'd start with looking at every light and tracing the wires as far back as you can.

The brake lights are powered by the same wires as the turn signals so you might have something screwy in the bed wiring.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would lean toward the turn signal switch in the column being bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebob14