Headlight switch keeps getting ruined.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big SW

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Goodwrench 350
Well, I got a problem. My 1986 Chevy K10 keeps ruining the headlight part of the headlight switch. I replaced the headlight switch a while ago because the courtesy lights were not working. Later on, the headlights quit. I found out that power wasn't getting through the switch. I replaced it and its now happening again. Everything else works fine except the headlights. the dimmers switch tested good. Any ideas?? thanks!!!!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
sounds like you've got a bad ground somewhere, or a bad positive wire leading to the switch. I'd start with the grounds. I'm sure you'll get better input shortly of where exactly to look.

If it's not ground it's gonna be a visual on each wire leading to/from the switch.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yup if something keeps getting fried, there's a short somewhere. Pinched wire under the dash or in steering column? Or underhood?

BadHabit

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne SWB
Engine Size
350 V8
as Radiohead points out, high resistance at a plug terminal will create heat and cause subsequent heat damage to switch internals...

My first thought was headlight bulbs have been replaced w/ higher output, higher current devices...this may increase current draw in excess of the rated current of the switch design.
This can be rectified by installing a remote relay, so the switch only needs to supply a small amount of current to actuate the relay...the relay carries the actual headlight current.
The relay which is typically located somewhere near the headlights...inner fender, radiator support, etc...
Headlights will see full system voltage and burn brighter too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef