Fuse Bulkhead connector difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squarenorth

Reaction score
First Name
milano
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if someone can shine some light on my situation. I am putting a square body truck together from baskets of parts essentially.

Drivetrain-motor, axles, tranny and transfer case from a 86 1ton C&C
cab- from 81-87 TBI & A/C unit with manual trans originally (converted cab to auto now)

I am using the wiring harness in the (Manual)cab, but it did not come with the front harness from the bulkhead connector. Sooooo, I planned on using the front harness from my 1ton. The (1ton)connectors are completely different and the pins run vertical like most square bodies I have seen. The one on my manual cab I am using, the pins are running horizontally! Does anyone know why this is or what I specifically need to find?

The first picture is the fuse block in my cab
The second is the bulkhead connector of the same fuse block in photo 1
The third photo is the bulkhead connector from the 1ton that I intended on using, but cannot.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 602
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 184
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 212

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
You’ve confused me. Not sure what you mean by 81-87 TBI. TBI was introduced in 87.

I did some research on bulkhead connectors a few months ago, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but the bulkhead connector in the third pic, was used from ‘76 - ‘86. Before ‘76 they had the old style wiring with glass tube fuses. In ‘87 they changed the bulkhead connector again when they made the change from carb to TBI. My source of this info was the bulkhead connector part numbers in the wiring diagrams. That bulkhead connector also used a different style fuse block.

Just to avoid more confusion the pic below is the ‘76 - ‘86 bulkhead connector and older style fuse block from an ‘80.

Attachments

• BBBA1194-71D5-46A1-8054-E999973AB4C6.jpeg
    BBBA1194-71D5-46A1-8054-E999973AB4C6.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 5E65ABCC-BD43-4DFA-B763-2329EA097445.jpeg
    5E65ABCC-BD43-4DFA-B763-2329EA097445.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 152

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You’ve confused me. Not sure what you mean by 81-87 TBI. TBI was introduced in 87.

I did some research on bulkhead connectors a few months ago, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but the bulkhead connector in the third pic, was used from ‘76 - ‘86. Before ‘76 they had the old style wiring with glass tube fuses. In ‘87 they changed the bulkhead connector again when they made the change from carb to TBI. My source of this info was the bulkhead connector part numbers in the wiring diagrams. That bulkhead connector also used a different style fuse block.

Just to avoid more confusion the pic below is the ‘76 - ‘86 bulkhead connector and older style fuse block from an ‘80.
79 was blade fuses
78 glass
The bulkhead on the 3rd image looks like mine from memory.. not confident tho. but it lines up with dsteel.

Does the OP mean a forward light harness?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if someone can shine some light on my situation. I am putting a square body truck together from baskets of parts essentially.

Drivetrain-motor, axles, tranny and transfer case from a 86 1ton C&C
cab- from 81-87 TBI & A/C unit with manual trans originally (converted cab to auto now)

I am using the wiring harness in the (Manual)cab, but it did not come with the front harness from the bulkhead connector. Sooooo, I planned on using the front harness from my 1ton. The (1ton)connectors are completely different and the pins run vertical like most square bodies I have seen. The one on my manual cab I am using, the pins are running horizontally! Does anyone know why this is or what I specifically need to find?

The first picture is the fuse block in my cab
The second is the bulkhead connector of the same fuse block in photo 1
The third photo is the bulkhead connector from the 1ton that I intended on using, but cannot.
the fuse box is a lot bigger tthan mine, so id say definitely a tbi
You must be registered for see images attach

this is my fuse block, 1980

squarenorth

Reaction score
First Name
milano
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

Sorry I just meant body style. Not sure the actual year of the cab. Its a mystery cab so to speak ;)

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 454
Sorry I just meant body style. Not sure the actual year of the cab. Its a mystery cab so to speak ;)
Now it makes sense. I’m guessing your cab is an ‘87 because it has the newer style bulkhead connector while the rest of it is pre-87 because the under hood wiring goes into an older style bulkhead connector. Correct?

To make it work you need to decide which style bulkhead connector you want to go with and find the missing counter parts. You will need to re-pin which ever side of the connector you replace so the wires are correctly connected. Not big deal considering the size of the project you’re undertaking.

Last edited:

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 454
To add to my previous post, I don’t know much of anything about the wiring of TBI because my squares are ‘73 and ‘80 and I run carbs, but I will say when deciding which bulkhead connector to use it may depend on whether you plan to run TBI or carb. If you want to run TBI you may want to stick with the new style because it will have all the provisions necessary for it. If you want to run a carb it probably won’t matter and you should go with which ever style connector you can get your hands on.

I recently rewired my ‘80 and I purchased new bulkhead connectors for it. It was impossible to find the connector for sale as a whole unit (it’s made up of four individual pieces). The wiring harness companies have new bulkhead connectors with their sets, but refuse to sell the connector by itself. I had to buy the four pieces in bulk to get my one connector I needed, so I have brand new, older style bulkhead connectors leftover that I will sell (I’m trying to get back some of the cost of buying the parts in bulk). You can PM me if that is something you might be interested in at some point. Just throwing it out there because they can be a b*tch to find.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So because you are not using TBI, right? A 86 C&C Would be carb I assume, and your engine wiring is of course not for the fuse block. I would say swap your column and block so then your wiring matches the connection type and then you have a more valuable tbi fuseblock in great shape to sell someone

cowboytaylor

Reaction score
First Name
hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy cheyenne/c1500 w/t
Engine Size
4.3 v6
So I’m currently looking for the complete wiring harness and bulkhead head connectors for a 1993 c1500 I’m having no luck on my own of finding any of this pls help drop links or whatever to help me locate these parts need asap as my mechanic has my truck trying to fix it
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• D87B02F6-587E-48B5-9E3D-B1A05FFA924F.jpeg
    D87B02F6-587E-48B5-9E3D-B1A05FFA924F.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 105
  • 277D01BC-69E0-415F-A817-868CE26BCE7D.jpeg
    277D01BC-69E0-415F-A817-868CE26BCE7D.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 124

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member