Full tilt front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Well I do have probably 200-300 hours in this thing. Everything has been a struggle with and now you can start it and drive to a freaking coast if you wanted to. It gets about 25 on the highway and it's not a slug at all. I mean I'm not going to travel forever and when we stop I'll be driving a 3/4 ton dodge 24 valve cummins?? If I'm light on it I've seen 16 in town and I mean light on it. Which I have a hard to stay consistent with that. I think either loose a mpg with a heavier foot and my normal driving. I had a goal to cut the back half off the burb, graft a rear of a single cab truck behind the middle seat, build an aluminum frame bed floor with some nice 1x8 cedar on top of that. Box the bed with 16 ga and fiberglass fenders both sides then start with paint and interior. I bet I could lighten it up to hit 30 going down the highway. I understand their concerns and the money that has been spent, but I might have to let it sit while we take care of business and then come back to it. Just selling it makes short term sense with a huge loss but what about down the road? I probably need to let it sit. It would take the right person to wanna finish it anyway.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well I do have probably 200-300 hours in this thing. Everything has been a struggle with and now you can start it and drive to a freaking coast if you wanted to. It gets about 25 on the highway and it's not a slug at all. I mean I'm not going to travel forever and when we stop I'll be driving a 3/4 ton dodge 24 valve cummins?? If I'm light on it I've seen 16 in town and I mean light on it. Which I have a hard to stay consistent with that. I think either loose a mpg with a heavier foot and my normal driving. I had a goal to cut the back half off the burb, graft a rear of a single cab truck behind the middle seat, build an aluminum frame bed floor with some nice 1x8 cedar on top of that. Box the bed with 16 ga and fiberglass fenders both sides then start with paint and interior. I bet I could lighten it up to hit 30 going down the highway. I understand their concerns and the money that has been spent, but I might have to let it sit while we take care of business and then come back to it. Just selling it makes short term sense with a huge loss but what about down the road? I probably need to let it sit. It would take the right person to wanna finish it anyway.

Damn, last few posts!!!. :wtf:

As far as the mod I quoted here, I have dug up a few pics of that mod. The one thing that really looks like chit to me is the tailgate area has the upper forward slant to it, looks like hell IMO.

Here is a for instance, this was done pretty well and looks pretty neat, but that slant at the top of the tail gate, meh. And the rear overhang is kinda long looking, if that ass can be shortened like a foot and a straight tailgate that thing would look awesome. But still doable like this without those mods:

You must be registered for see images

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Thats what i was talking abotu doing. You still have a burb with all the blazer appeal

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Damn, last few posts!!!. :wtf:

As far as the mod I quoted here, I have dug up a few pics of that mod. The one thing that really looks like chit to me is the tailgate area has the upper forward slant to it, looks like hell IMO.

Here is a for instance, this was done pretty well and looks pretty neat, but that slant at the top of the tail gate, meh. And the rear overhang is kinda long looking, if that ass can be shortened like a foot and a straight tailgate that thing would look awesome. But still doable like this without those mods:

You must be registered for see images

I've seen guys doing this and I'm not a fan. The whole back of burb will go. I might have to put a driveshaft tunnel in it and then z the frame moving the rear axle back about a 8" then cut the rear of the frame. Ive been taking tape measures to it even though I'm not ready just some preplanning. I want a similar bed to what you find on a old stepside like a 48 Chevy.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Thats what i was talking abotu doing. You still have a burb with all the blazer appeal

I've considered a blazer top just think a bed would be more practical for me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yes, that's badass !!! I'd rock the hell outta that. :rockit: That's not a Burb no more. That a 4 door squarebody blazer through and through. I've thought about finding me a 3/4 ton Burb, and find me a good body and fab guy to convert it to a removeable top like a K5 Blazer. And here I thought an awesome idea that noone else has done. Glad to see it though. GM missed their calling on doing that. I do like Burb better, and they are plentiful and you can buy a Burb for less than half what you can a K5 these days. You can also get a 3/4 Burb, but you can't even get a 3/4 K Blazer. Remember I posted not long ago, there are advantages to a Burb having a tailgate with glass instead of Barn doors? That's one of the advantages. Blazer top conversion.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
OP, hang in there man but don't sell your burb. All that'll do is make you regret it and get pissed at the family. Let it sit for a while and let the dust settle but hang on to that thing.

I guess I've always been lucky in that my parents stay out of our business and my wife is not a big nagger (although, she does have her times :lol:) about stuff like this. Hang in there man :handshake:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
OP, hang in there man but don't sell your burb. All that'll do is make you regret it and get pissed at the family. Let it sit for a while and let the dust settle but hang on to that thing.

I guess I've always been lucky in that my parents stay out of our business and my wife is not a big nagger (although, she does have her times :lol:) about stuff like this. Hang in there man :handshake:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just see them increasing in value in the next 10-15 years as they rust and get crushed. I need to put on a backburner. If I don't and get it rid of it I will just end up starting from square one on another expensive project in the next 5 years. That's a worse plan yet.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like you've got it running really good.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah, I say keep it, but maybe take a break from it. Taking a break from it, might get it off the wife's and parents radar to get rid of it. Then again, that might hurt. They might say, you lost interest in it, so sell it. I don't know, I don't think you need to worry about parents at all, but maybe you might have to try some of Retro's tactics to get what you want out of the wife. I think Retro gets whatever he wants approved by the wife. He just has to perform his services. :rofl:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
yeah, I say keep it, but maybe take a break from it. Taking a break from it, might get it off the wife's and parents radar to get rid of it. Then again, that might hurt. They might say, you lost interest in it, so sell it. I don't know, I don't think you need to worry about parents at all, but maybe you might have to try some of Retro's tactics to get what you want out of the wife. I think Retro gets whatever he wants approved by the wife. He just has to perform his services. :rofl:

I guess I oughta clarify I'm going on the road so I'm not sure what to do with it. The house is going to get sold and we are going to live out of the trailer. The original plan was to build the burb for gas mileage so I left it stock then we decided to travel nurse and pull the trailer with the burb. We found out the hard way that wasn't happening. Now with the house going on the market I'll have no place to put it. I don't want to sell it ESPECIALLY the drivetrain. I am hearing a lot of turbo and wondering if it has a leak. I don't have a boost gauge to know. It has PVC pipe for now. Which needs replace but it's still moving pretty good. I just want to put it some place and know its safe. Thought about storage but that's more money. Its just more **** in life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg