Fuel Tank Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Couple questions regarding the fuel tank switch.

1) Does it always need power?
2) Once you have the tank selected can you remove the switch and keep the selected tank active?
3) Does the fuel tank switch need to be powered for the truck to run?

The brown wire is horribly spliced on my truck and will need some repairs but for right now its not hooked up at all and I'm wondering if that will cause any issues.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
On a 74 you should have a solenoid valve. The way this works is that when the power to the solenoid valve is off, it relaxes to select one tank, when it is powered, it holds it selected to the other tank. Removing power anywhere in the circuit, or a failure of the solenoid, will result in the default tank selected. This valve has one wire to activate it and a connection to ground.

There is another, motorized, valve, to which you apply power on two wires. If the polarity is one way, the motor runs in one direction to select one tank, and then shuts itself off. If the polarity is the other way, the motor will run the other direction to select the other tank, and then shut itself off. Removing the power anywhere in the circuit results in the valve staying where it is, on whichever tank is selected.

I mention the second valve because it is a popular replacement -- it's more reliable -- and after 40 years, who knows which one you have?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I have a wiring diagram now and yes the wiring for my tanks is all goofy. I have a question though.. I was looking at this wiring diagram and it shows 3 different styles of fuel gauges..
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/ray_mcavoy/77_DualTankWiring.jpg

"Production Fuel Gauge"
"Production Fuel Meter"
"Auxillary Fuel Meter"

In my truck it has the 1 large fuel guage beside the speedometer. Would this be the "Production Fuel Meter"?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Only one gauge (located on the dash). Fuel meter = sender. There are two senders, one in each tank:

You must be registered for see images attach

Note that the tanks, as shown in the dwg above, are on opposite sides - as they would actually be found.

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Once again thanks man much appreciated.

Looks like the connector for the fuel tanks is on its own connector so hopefully that makes things a bit easier.

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I'm not sure if its a difference in years or perhaps something got really weird in my truck but here is what I discovered.

The pink/blk that should go to the fuse box goes through the firewall to the round plug then ends.

Then for some reason there is a tan wire that comes up the passenger side that I had to splice a new wire into and run it back into the tan wire which then seems to have powered my fuel gauge.

So I'm really curious how power gets through this system. Its almost as if the power is fed through the gas gauge for the switch.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This early set-up is different than the later system.

In the later models (up to 1986) only one common sensing leg (pink) was run from the gauge to the control head on the tank select valve. Two leads (pink/blk & pink/wht) are connected from the control head on the valve and run over to the individual tank senders. One of those branch leads is always in contact with the common pink feed.

When the tanks are switched, the valve shuttles. Attached to the valve - the part that shuttles - are a set of contacts. They move as well - and that changes the connection from the pink to either of the branch leads.

So, when the dash switch is moved, the valve shuttles. And along with the valve, the contacts set also shifts. That changes which tank level sender is connected to the sensing leg of the gauge.

In the earlier version (like yours) the select valve is much simpler. It only changes the alignment of the fuel pump suction piping from one tank to the other. The sensing leg for the gauge (tan) is split off into two leads at the dash switch. Each of those two leads (tan & light blue) are then run independently all the way back to the individual tanks.

So, as you change the position of your dash switch, two things happen simultaneously - independent of each other:

1. Power from the fuse block (via the pink/black) to the tank select valve (on the light green) is being switched on & off.

Your type is a solenoid actuated valve. Without power, it moves to the default position - and connects the fuel pump to the production tank. Then, if the switch is moved to the closed position, power is applied to the coil. When the coil is energized, that causes the valve to shuttle - and the fuel pump piping is connected to the auxiliary tank.

2. Incorporated within the dash switch, are a second set of contacts that are shifted (along with the on/off contacts for power to the solenoid coil). These contacts determine which of the tank senders is connected to the dash board gauge.

When the switch is in the production tank position, there is no power to the coil. Also, the tan wire from the gauge is connected to the tan wire that runs from the dash switch to the production (LH) tank.

If you change the position of the switch to the auxiliary tank, the coil is energized. At the same time as power is applied to the coil, the gauge sensing leg is being shifted. The tan wire from the gauge is disconnected from the production tank sender (the tan) and connected to the auxiliary tank sender (via the light blue).

Power to the gas gauge comes in on the pink 39 lead - just a common (ignition switched) hot lead.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ah HAH! So I'm not losing my mind. I was able to finally go through some wiring schematics and guess what.. The fuel tank switch wiring for a 74 IS different.. I knew it!!

No bloody wonder nothing on this truck is making sense!

You can clearly see how the switch is completely different than the later versions.

Now to figure out the switch.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
As regards the tank level indication circuit, that wiring diagram is identical to the one shown further up. The only difference between the two dwgs is - on that latest one, the power supply to the select valve solenoid coil is omitted.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LOL omg... This is what my switch is supposed to look like.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This your switch?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Its not the switch in my truck but glad to see what should be in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy