Fuel tank selector valve 6 port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srfinatsunset

Reaction score
First Name
Remington
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 Camper Special 3+3
Engine Size
What 6 port fuel tank selector valve did you? The new plastic style with working harness or did you find a Nos single wire selector. I’m in the process of new sending units and hoses and it’s hard to find the single wire fuel tank selector.
You must be registered for see images attach

Does the new plastic style wire up old wiring hardness pretty easy?

1980 GMC C3500 Crew Cab Sierra Classic

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What 6 port fuel tank selector valve did you? The new plastic style with working harness or did you find a Nos single wire selector. I’m in the process of new sending units and hoses and it’s hard to find the single wire fuel tank selector.

Is it worth $100 (or something like that) for you to avoid the wiring/switch changes and just replace the OEM valve with an NOS part?

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/acdel...kYASABEgJM2vD_BwE&ymm_gid=1&gsID=pwf656332g1&

The part number for a 6 port single wire tank select valve (used in a 1980 CK 1,2,3 with any engine other than a 250/292) is 467513.

But before you buy, be aware that although the valve Stockwise shows in the listing appears to be correct (i.e. 6 port - single wire) it might not be what they are selling. They, like many other internet vendors, are very careless about whether the associated image is truly representative of the actual part. The ACDelco part number U7001 is widely misused. I would call them.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the valve is not working, clean the area of the frame where it bolts up. The valve is self-grounding and could be the reason it doesn't work.

Rebar1968

Reaction score
First Name
Gino
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne
Engine Size
any idea what a good working 1 wire 6 port valve is worth i just got one that i was going to use but am going to sell to some one restoring there truck instead

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is it worth $100 (or something like that) for you to avoid the wiring/switch changes and just replace the OEM valve with an NOS part?

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/acdel...kYASABEgJM2vD_BwE&ymm_gid=1&gsID=pwf656332g1&

The part number for a 6 port single wire tank select valve (used in a 1980 CK 1,2,3 with any engine other than a 250/292) is 467513.

But before you buy, be aware that although the valve Stockwise shows in the listing appears to be correct (i.e. 6 port - single wire) it might not be what they are selling. They, like many other internet vendors, are very careless about whether the associated image is truly representative of the actual part. The ACDelco part number U7001 is widely misused. I would call them.
Actually looking for one of those as a spare. Went to the link, shows an original 6 pin, not single stud connector. So your BUB comment is correct.

Did find one here but know nothing about them. Has anyone used this site?

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

At the shop we install the Pollak or Standard motors 6 port units and they are great. Not hard to install if you can read a wiring diagram and solder.
any idea what a good working 1 wire 6 port valve is worth i just got one that i was going to use but am going to sell to some one restoring there truck instead
To me they are worth nothing. There is a reason that GM went away from the single wire units and they are so hard to get in aftermarket. The reliability of the single wire units is poor. We convert the single wire systems to the multiple wire Pollak or Standard units.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine has it because it was originally a single tank. Rather than run 5 or 6 wires back to the valve I tapped into the harness right behind the cluster for the gauge. Then used a 6 terminal on-off-on switch. One side gauge other side valve change over. Was much easier at the time than cutting a square hole in the dash for an original switch then buying and running all the wires. This was back when the truck was new [81] most or all the parts would nave been dealer only.

Respectfully disagree that the single wire change over valve isn't dependable. That truck has at least 300k on it with the same valve.

Agree, I wouldn't do it that way today being as the pick and pull yards have everything cheap.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@fast 99 My truck was a single tank as well. I just couldn't take the short range especially when I was towing my trailer!

I know there are guys out there with a ton of miles on one wire units, I assume you know how they are setup inside the unit, but for anyone that doesn't know. The single wires are powered one way and change to the other tank with spring pressure. If that spring fails the tank won't change over but the gauge will, the driver doesn't know anything is wrong until they run out of gas. With the 5 or 6 wire units, the gauge change over is handled by the valve rather than the switch, so if the valve fails to change over the gauge will stay on the same tank the valve is. Also the valve is powered in both directions. I probably should have said that the 5 or 6 wire unit is considered more reliable and has redundancies built into it so it is less likely to fail and if it does it's less likely to leave you on the side of the road.

I did have to run some wiring for the unit, but for me I felt like it was the better choice.

Chub3006

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would like to find a single wire too.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@fast 99 My truck was a single tank as well. I just couldn't take the short range especially when I was towing my trailer!

I know there are guys out there with a ton of miles on one wire units, I assume you know how they are setup inside the unit, but for anyone that doesn't know. The single wires are powered one way and change to the other tank with spring pressure. If that spring fails the tank won't change over but the gauge will, the driver doesn't know anything is wrong until they run out of gas. With the 5 or 6 wire units, the gauge change over is handled by the valve rather than the switch, so if the valve fails to change over the gauge will stay on the same tank the valve is. Also the valve is powered in both directions. I probably should have said that the 5 or 6 wire unit is considered more reliable and has redundancies built into it so it is less likely to fail and if it does it's less likely to leave you on the side of the road.

I did have to run some wiring for the unit, but for me I felt like it was the better choice.
That's true and probably why GM designed it that way. I know about the valve switching back if power is lost. I always used the tank that required switch power first. We know how fast these trucks use fuel. If the gauge was stationary for 10 minutes something was wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88