Fuel Tank Selector Valve Shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beetlevh

Reaction score
First Name
Vishal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 V8
Hey guys, 1986 Chevy K10 short bed… trying to fix a fuel leak at the tank selector valve under the passenger side cab. This truck is in remarkable shape, mostly original so it seems to have things that apparently got ripped out and tossed on most other trucks. One of them is a heat shield under the selector valve. For the life of me I cant figure out why the hell they put it on with the bolt heads so tucked and facing up. It likely was assembled before the cab was installed on top. Anyone have any recommendations on how to remove it without cutting it out? If possible I would like to make the repair and reinstall it perhaps just reverse the bolts around so they can be reached from below. Thanks in advance.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never heard of or seen one.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have seen the shield won't a flex head gearwrench work?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Have seen the shield won't a flex head gearwrench work?
That’s what I used when working on mine earlier in the year

Beetlevh

Reaction score
First Name
Vishal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 V8
Is that a Nevada Gold, @Old77?

Ok will try the flex head thank you.

Shawn Wheeler

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an 84, I replaced the valve today. My shield has a nut and bolt on the outside left if you are laying under the passenger side. And another bolt to the frame on the lower right.

The bolt(s) (mine only had one, like yours is on the top. I used a 1/2 box wrench to get it out. I went and bought a 1/2 rachet wrench today before I put it back. It took an hour and more bad words that I care to own up to.

Side note to putting it back in. Replacing the bolt with smaller diameter bolt with a nut would be much easier.

Good luck mine is still not switching tanks.

Last edited:

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I have an 84, I replaced the valve today. My shield has a nut and bolt on the outside left if you are laying under the passenger side. And another bolt to the frame on the lower right.

The bolt(s) (mine only had one, like yours is on the top. I used a 1/2 box wrench to get it out. I went and bought a 1/2 rachet wrench today before I put it back. It took an hour and more bad words that I care to own up to.

Side note to putting it back in. Replacing the bolt with smaller diameter bolt with a nut would be much easier.

Good luck mine is still not switching tanks.
If you could grab a picture of yours I’d really appreciate it, left mine off when I replaced my valve last time and lost it. Then found it recently when replacing my engine but can’t seem to get it to line up right. Wondering if I’m missing something else

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I have an 84 GMC C1500. I had to replace the tank and switching valve. My cover had 3 bolts the 2 towards the back were in from the bottom and the one towards the front was down from the top.

Last night I checked the switching valve as per the factory service manual and it tested good last night as did the switch in the cab. Went out tonight the valve didn't work. Changed the switch in the cab and now it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad