fuel tank questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Trying to decide if i want to move my tank from the saddle style to the rear located behind the axel. Would be better for more gas but wondering if there is an owners manual or how to book that shows just how it is installed. Wanna be as safe as possible when going with the switch.

Any help is appreciated. Ive read a few threads on here but would like to see how the factory did the original set ups.

Truck is a 77 c10 stepside

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You obviously don't run dual saddle tanks. 2 x 20gal is 40. You won't get more gas than that. The Burb tank is 40 gallon, and the K5 Blazer tank is 31 gallon. If you're running 1 20 gallon tank now, then the 31 Gallon Blazer tank is certianly more gas for you.

As far as help, here is a write up. Old77 did this to his 77 C10 also. Step by Step instructions here.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ahhh, I just caught, "Stepside" in your post, so at most you'd be running Two 16 gallon tanks and maybe even One 16 gallon saddle tank. Yeah, you can use some more fuel capacity if you're running One 16 gallon tank. Either add another 16 gallon, or do the relocate to the Blazer tank.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
ahhh, I just caught, "Stepside" in your post, so at most you'd be running Two 16 gallon tanks and maybe even One 16 gallon saddle tank. Yeah, you can use some more fuel capacity if you're running One 16 gallon tank. Either add another 16 gallon, or do the relocate to the Blazer tank.

:slap: :laser:

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Yea its just a single 16 gal tank. The truck was origionally a 6 cyl. But with a 406 deff wanna be able to go past a gas station and not have to pull in.

I read the step by step from old77 and was great info. Just worried about fuel neck relocation.

Ill try to find a way to print out the step by step he did when i get to a pc. Been using my phone for everything.

Thanks for the fast response. Is the frame and everything the same on fleetside and stepside. Prob dumb question to ask

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea its just a single 16 gal tank. The truck was origionally a 6 cyl. But with a 406 deff wanna be able to go past a gas station and not have to pull in.

I read the step by step from old77 and was great info. Just worried about fuel neck relocation.

Ill try to find a way to print out the step by step he did when i get to a pc. Been using my phone for everything.

Thanks for the fast response. Is the frame and everything the same on fleetside and stepside. Prob dumb question to ask

The rails will be the same with a difference in length naturally. But the cross supports could be in a different location, so you may need to grind some rivets and move that to make room for the opening. Being we don't have a write up for a short bed, if you do it, being a shortbed and stepside, it would be a real cool addition as an amendment to the original gas tank re-location thread. So take lots of pics if you can.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Ok ill get all the measurements and see if i can even get it to fit . But im determined to get a bigger tank and dont to much like the idea of sitting on a tank.

Should make for an interesting time.

Thought about cutting the wood bed on the middle board nearvthe back and put a hinge on it to hide the filler neck. Any thoughts on that

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My short step has a 20 gal fuel cell mounted between the rails. It's close and if you want more you may need a custom tank. Mine is going to be filled thru the bed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thought about cutting the wood bed on the middle board nearvthe back and put a hinge on it to hide the filler neck. Any thoughts on that

Let me know how that goes. You can do this but sit down before you click the link.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/16095/Fuel_Filler_Concealment_Kit.html

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Wow u were right deff gotta sit for.that one. I may just cut a hole out lol.

I seen in the lmc catalog where they have the 25 gal. Rear mounted tank for a stepside shortbed. But would need to see all the mounting points.

But no matter what this conversion will happen and hotrod ill deff take alot of pics and detailed description on the process. But my bed will already be off before the install takes place so would prob make it alot easier that way

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Hmm new question with the short bed and 25 gallon tank rear mounted would i still have the clearence after i do a 2.5/4 drop kit . Just want to make sure the clearance is there. Plus if i put the roll pan on like i plan it requires welding it on from what i have read.

If so i would be able to just relocate the rear frame support to be able to have the clearance. Would this be a true statement or just wishful thinking

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
I was watching Trucks this morning on powerblock and they had a 1971 truck that they relocated the fuel tank on. I know they are diff years and styles but had some helpful info.

I hope to start my custumizing of the short bed stepside rear mounted 25 gal fuel system.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I seen in the lmc catalog where they have the 25 gal. Rear mounted tank for a stepside shortbed. But would need to see all the mounting points

If this is the one your talking about it's only a 20 gal.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=132

Hmm new question with the short bed and 25 gallon tank rear mounted would i still have the clearence after i do a 2.5/4 drop kit . Just want to make sure the clearance is there. Plus if i put the roll pan on like i plan it requires welding it on from what i have read.

If so i would be able to just relocate the rear frame support to be able to have the clearance. Would this be a true statement or just wishful thinking

Mine has a 5in flip kit in the rear but mine is only a 20 gal tank.

I don't know you need the measurements of the 25 gal tank. Moving the rear frame support has nothing to do with the roll pan. The roll pan welds to the bed not the frame. I ASSUME since the roll pan covers the rear frame rails you could move the rear support back a few inches. Get the tank measurements and a tape measure and do some investigating.

I was watching Trucks this morning on powerblock and they had a 1971 truck that they relocated the fuel tank on. I know they are diff years and styles but had some helpful info.

I hope to start my custumizing of the short bed stepside rear mounted 25 gal fuel system.

I saw the episode, keep in mind that was a fleetside and they used a Suburban tank that has a filler opening on the side. If you want the filler in the bed of the stepside you will need the original filler location welded up and a new one cut on the top of the tank . Unless you can do that modification yourself or know someone who can you will have more in the tank and welding labor than if you just went ahead and had a custom tank built.

Post pics when you do your relocation.

Last edited:

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
That wasnt the tank I was refering to. Its the one on the bottom of this page.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=133

I actually have a buddy that is a master welder and fabricator, and would do it for free.

I was wondering about the roll pan I seen where it could be welded or bolted. Ill just have it welded so ican have the option of moving the brace.

The reason i asked about relocating it was when i measured for the tank, it looks like when I lower the truck it may hit on the hog head.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That wasnt the tank I was refering to. Its the one on the bottom of this page.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=133

I actually have a buddy that is a master welder and fabricator, and would do it for free.

I was wondering about the roll pan I seen where it could be welded or bolted. Ill just have it welded so ican have the option of moving the brace.

The reason i asked about relocating it was when i measured for the tank, it looks like when I lower the truck it may hit on the hog head.

It does not matter about the roll pan. You can move the brace on either bolt or weld. You just need to make sure you don't move the brace so much that it interfears with the pan. You need all the parts in place and meausre for a tank.

If you have a buddy who is a master welder just drop the truck, measure the space you have and have your buddy build you a tank.

The tank in the link looks to be filled from the back, not the top so you would need to do some work to it be able to fill it from the bed floor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctonton