Fuel line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
My 85 has a rubber gas line with a fuel filter on it and I want to replace it with the correct metal one. My questions are why did they rig it this way and if I undo this line from the carburetor what are the odds that will be cross threaded and do I need to replace or even look for the in-line fuel filter here some pics

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It may have been kinked or had a leak as to why it was done with rubber. I'd say the odds are slim it's crossthreaded if someone had half of a brain and a little mechanical ability.

They may have ran the rubber just to be able to run the fuel filter if they felt they had alot of trash in the fuel tank and were having needle and seat problems with the carb and it sticking the float being hung up by the trash in the seat. On that type carb, there should be a small in carb filter behind the second large nut to the fuel inlet. You can also go most of the way metal line and still use 2 pc of short rubber to keep an inline filter also, it would just be over the intake manifold instead of below the alternator.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My 85 has a rubber gas line with a fuel filter on it and I want to replace it with the correct metal one. My questions are why did they rig it this way and if I undo this line from the carburetor what are the odds that will be cross threaded and do I need to replace or even look for the in-line fuel filter here some pics

FWIW - If for some reason an in-line filter is needed, it's easy to splice one into the rubber hose on the inlet side of the pump. This shows one done like that (the hose is disconnected from the pump inlet and plugged with a spark plug):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24